Rules query regarding cover

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Hereward

Rules query regarding cover

Post by Hereward » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:26 am

Hello. I have a query regarding cover which I hope someone may help me with.
If a section of 8 regulars fires on an enemy section of 8 behind a brick wall I would regard it as a poor shot.
If the enemy section is in the open it would be a great shot.
Presumably I would be able to fire with three actions/dice in either case and make adjustments for the type of shotwhen consulting the fire table.
What if 4 of the regulars manage to get around the wall. These 4 would presumably have a great shot and the remaining 4 regulars would still have a poor shot.
How do I allow for this when determining number of hits? and how many dice would I use?
Thank you for any advice.

Vis Bellica

Re: Rules query regarding cover

Post by Vis Bellica » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm

I would roll the three dice, compare the numbers, and go somewhere in the middle. Or use an Okay shot.

So, for example, if you rolled a total of 12 at 9-18", you get:
Good: 5P
Okay: 3P
Poor: 1

So I would probably go for 3P as being in the middle of the two and an Okay shot. I'd further justify the P as applying to the whole squad by saying that the squad wouldn't want to move away from their mates caught out in the open.

R

Hereward

Post by Hereward » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Seems good advice Vis Bellica. Thank you.
IABSM appears to encourage logical agreement between players rather than having to spell things out in an almost contractual all-enveloping long list of rules. I like that.
There are several other areas of play which require a degree of interpretation and agreement. Does anyone have any examples of these and how they interpreted the rules for their own games?

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:09 am

You fire by section; I'd say it's an OK shot for the whole section.
One rule of thumb I always apply; if someone is shooting at you, you never have a great shot.
Great shots are only when you are shooting but not being shot at (and at enemy in the open, obviously).

m1kel

Post by m1kel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:30 pm

1. So if I have a section firing at a hmg in the open, but the hmg is within two inches of a squad behind a wall, do I fire as if all in the open and share results. That is, use worst case cover?
2. If I'm attacking a town across the open by moving and taking cover with the last dice. If I get close enough to my target and want to fire to try to suppress them, do I only fire with two dice as I need to use the last one to go back into cover? Or can I fire and still be in cover?
3. A german squad makes the final dash to within 4 inches of the dug in Russians. The Germans count -3 dice for having used them to get to combat but manage to draw the combat and have to fight again immediately. Can they ignore the -3 this time and do both sides recalculate to allow for casualties and shock in the first round?

Sorry for noob questions but just getting started on the rules.