Adapting CoC Moral for IABSM?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Nick B

Adapting CoC Moral for IABSM?

Post by Nick B » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:57 pm

One thing I (personally) have always thought was lacking from IABSM is a force "break point". Seeing as Rich has included this in CoC I wondered if it could be adopted for IABSM.

I would adopt a variable impact for losses as per CoC, but simplified with sections counting as destroyed. if they reached Zero activations. I would also adopt end of turn rout for sections with more than double suppression.

So whilst needing some further jiggling:

IABSM sections/integral weapons (PIAT, Panzerschrek) = CoC Team
IABSM Platoon = CoC Section
Support weapons remain the same (would include AFVs)
Big men - "kill" only

Moral level would also be set in the same way but with +/- reflecting force quality. Moral level is the part that may need some additional thought! :lol:

Zero moral basically means game over - force withdraws fro the table.

What do you think - plausible? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Ta

Nick :D

JimLeCat

Re: Adapting CoC Moral for IABSM?

Post by JimLeCat » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:18 pm

I just posted some thoughts on this in answer to the very same question by Mick over on the TFL list.

My initial conclusion is that it wouldn't work, mostly because, unlike CoC, forces in IABSM vary hugely in size and composition, but also because the morale issue over a larger battlefield isn't a simple matter of 'we've lost x units' so much as 'do we have the effective units to complete our objectives'.

In a platoon level action, the platoon may be very sensitive to casualties, because it is all 'close to home'. In a company level action, one platoon probably will not even know what exactly is happening to the others, all they will care about is whether the other platoons appear to be advancing/holding/covering ground, and in a battalion level action the companies may be even more divorced from each other.

Please don't let that stop you trying, I may be wrong - although you will need to change the scale on supports in the same way as for the infantry, since in IABSM you will often have many, many more of them. One tank is a big deal in CoC, in IABSM you may have an entire squadron!

Cheers,
Jim

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:20 pm

And I've just seen your post over on the TFL list joining in the discussion over there! :D

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:38 pm

interesting ideas but not sure how you would apply it to IABSM & I would at the least scale up the size of the Units causing morale hits to Platoons & troops. I would also consider it not so much as force morale but as the point when when the Battalion commander pulls the plug on the operation because its either not going to be achievable with the force still available or its going to be too expensive to do so in terms of men and resources.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Yes - that's exactly what I would be trying to replicate - essentially a measurable end point to the game where a Battalion CO would say "enough is enough - we can achieve no more with what's left" rather than dribs and drabs continuing on to the bitter end.

(note - rules for a scenario may dictate that troops will fight on and on but that should be rare)

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Did you see my post on the TFL list?

I was wondering about rating platoons, etc. based on the proportion of their original actions they could apply and then set conditions based on a forces objectives...

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Its not appeared as yet & I took a quick look when you mentioned it.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

mickscales

Post by mickscales » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:24 am

I feel the same as Nick re. force morale, particularly as many of my games are solo. There could be a set number of turns but I think this can be too arbitrary. A game could be in the balance at that point or nowhere near a conclusion sometimes. On the other hand, allowing the inbuilt morale system (shock,loss of bottle etc)to determine outcomes will result in sections fighting to the point where they no longer can because they are too small. As Nick says, you then have various units whittled down but no overall "reason" to stop even when there are objectives still to be achieved. I/we tend to agree when a game is "over" and I am quite happy with this but I guess it's the idea that this decision gets taken out of our hands which appeals - a bit like the use of cards, blinds etc prevents us having too much control of our troops. As Jim says, it may not be practical to use a CoC type force morale but I will experiment a bit. Either way, IABSM is my favourite set of rules and I will happily continue to play them either solo or against friendly opponents - as soon as my arm's out of plaster!
Mick