More probably very obvious questions.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Archdukek

Re: More probably very obvious questions.

Post by Archdukek » Mon May 15, 2017 1:49 am

No problem Cerebus, glad to help.
If in doubt apply some common sense and ask yourself what might have happened in this situation in real life, then interpret the rule accordingly. You'll normally find that is the way the game is meant to be played.

John

dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:11 pm

JimLeCat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 11:40 am
Hi Cerebus,

The answer is that sections don't necessarily use actions one after another. You should declare what each section is doing before actually using their actions, but you can declare that two or more sections are acting simultaneously.

So, a platoon card comes up, you could declare that one section is firing at an enemy section, resolve that, then declare that the other two sections will now attempt to close for close combat, then roll for their movement. If both get there, then both fight. Of course, if one of them fails to get in CC range, the other section is stuck fighting on its own...

Likewise, if a BM card comes up, you don't have to declare each of his CI in turn and resolve the results, you can declare that he is using two or more CI at once to issue simulaneous orders. So, a Level III BM could order the first section from the platoon above to fire at the aforementioned enemy, then order the other two sections to charge at once. Of course, he could only be attached to at most one of the three, so he would either direct the fire of the first section, or charge into CC with one of the other sections, adding his dice to the combat (and risking his neck!).

As to Uhraah!, look in the Bonus Cards section in 'What do the cards mean?' at the beginning of the rules... ;^D

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim
I'm wondering if you can provide more details (and rule references) with regards to declaring actions and implementing actions. I just played a simple skirmish after a good 2-year hiatus and some questions came up......

1) A squad has 3 actions to use....let's say they want to try and reach a certain point that is 5 inches away....can they

a) roll 1D6, see what the result is and then decide (oh, I only rolled a two...........) I'll use a second D6 to to try and reach that point, etc.
or
b) do they have to declare what they are going to attempt to do with all 3 of their actions and then dice accordingly

2) Similarly, do you have to declare your intent with all 3 squads in a platoon, and what you are going to dice for each set of actions by a squad...........or can you see if, for example, Squad 1 successfully pins or suppresses the enemy MG nest before you decide what to do with Squad 2 or 3.

Thanks!

dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:14 am

Hi all: anybody have an answer to the questions in my last post? thx

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:35 am

Hi there,
To answer your questions
1) Section 2.2 in the rules says that you should declare your movement intentions and how many dice you are committing to movement before rolling any dice. So option b) is correct.

I would apply a bit of common sense to this. If an opponent says he wants a unit to move with 2 Actions up to a hedge line say and use his final action to spot but then rolls short, I'd allow him to convert his spotting action into a movement one since his intent was clearly stated at the beginning. If he was moving in the open rather than to a defined terrain feature, then he would have to spot from wherever he reached with his two movement actions.

2) Section 1.2.2 says that a squad or section can use their actions in whichever order the owning player wishes. So you could choose to act with one squad and see the results before declaring your actions with the other squads in the platoon. If you are wanting two or more squads to coordinate their actions and say move together, however, then you should declare that. The author has confirmed that you could for example move 2 squads together into Close Combat for example.

So it is legitimate to activate one squad to fire on an enemy section in an attempt to pin it, then if it's successful commit the other two squads to the assault.

Hope that helps.

John

dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for the rapid customer support!! You guys are the best!