More probably very obvious questions.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Cerebus

More probably very obvious questions.

Post by Cerebus » Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Sorry guys, I've got more questions. Just played through the 1st scenario (narrow victory for the Axis troops. Couldn't winkle the MMG's out of the buildings, but that could be down to me playing it wrong! :oops: Great fun though.) Anyway, any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do you get a Blind for both the Platoon and its Big Man at the start of the game? If they are
moving together do you place both on the table on top of each other or just one (and remember it
has the other with it).

2. A Big Man is attached to a section. The platoon card is drawn and the BM moves with that section.
Can the BM then be activated when its card is drawn later in the turn?

3. A BM directs fire of an attached section.
Does that fire happen immediately and is that all that section can do this turn?
Does the BM need to activate the section first and then direct its fire (spending 2 CI
points).

4. A level 3 BM is activated on his card. Is the following correct?

He activates the section he is attached to, which moves 1d6 (taking the BM with it), then
directs the fire of this section (2d6 fire + 3 for his initiative).

5. A level 1 BM only has 1 action. If it takes one action to move over an obstacle does he have to
move up to the obstacle, then on his next activation hop over it and then on his 3rd activation
move on?

6. Do pinned units have increased cover?

7. In Close Combat, does the Big Man have to be in base contact with the section involved or is
command radius enough?

8. Do light mortars fire 1 shot for each action they use? Ie: 3 actions, not moved , they have 3D6.

9. Do sections reduced to 0 actions have any use on the table? Should I just remove them, even if they have troops left?

Thanks in advance.

Archdukek

Re: More probably very obvious questions.

Post by Archdukek » Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi Cerebus, glad you enjoyed your first game. It's gets addictive as you try to work out how to improve your tactics. Here's my take on your questions.

1. You basically get 1 Blind per platoon, not for the Big Men. He is assumed to be under the Blind for the platoon or other unit he is attached to such as the Coy HQ.
2. Yes the Big Man can be activated when his card is subsequently drawn (see 1.1.4), but his options as to how he spends his Command Initiatives may be limited. For example he couldn't move twice and if all the sections in the platoon have activated on the platoon card, then he can't activate them again so will be confined to spotting or removing Shock. Sometimes you may choose not to activate all or part of a platoon on the platoon card but instead wait for the Big Man card to come up if say you want him to direct fire.
3. When directing fire the Big Man activates with 1 CI which also allows him to add his bonus dice to the firing. It does not cost a s cond CI to do so. The activated section can use its actions as normal, so could say move with 1 action and fire with the remainder.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 am

Sorry got interrupted by granddaughter!

4. That's correct, although he is never obliged to activate the section he is with. He could activate others within his command range.
5. A Level 1 BM has 1 Command Initiative, not 1 Action. He can use that CI to activate himself to move up to 3 D6 (basically 3 actions worth). So he uses 1D6 to move up to the obstacle, loses 1D6 for crossing the obstacle, then can use the final 1D6 to move beyond it. Much quicker.
6. No, but I usual treat suppressed troops as a poorer target.
7. Yes a Big Man must be attached to a section in close combat to add dice.
8. No they fire 1 shot per activation, not per action. British 2" mortars can Rapid Fire so rolling twice per activation, but only have 4 rounds of HE fire in total.
9. They can do nothing but depending on where they are they could act as a bit of a road block as they usually need to be close assaulted to remove them. Many players simply remove them. Your call.

John

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Sun May 14, 2017 7:48 am

Thanks John, that's brilliant. Cleared up loads of stuff for me. One more quick question if I may regarding Close Combat.

The example in the rule book shows two sections attacking. How is it possible to get two sections within 4" of the enemy during normal gameplay. As each section completes its actions before another is used surely one close combat is over before the next unit moves up to attack?

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Sun May 14, 2017 8:23 am

Uhraaah!

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Sun May 14, 2017 11:13 am

Vis Bellica wrote:Uhraaah!

Hmmm. Think you've lost me there, but I'll take a stab at guessing what you mean. Something to do with an obscure rule for Russian troops who can all move before undertaking a Close Combat charge???

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Sun May 14, 2017 11:40 am

Hi Cerebus,

The answer is that sections don't necessarily use actions one after another. You should declare what each section is doing before actually using their actions, but you can declare that two or more sections are acting simultaneously.

So, a platoon card comes up, you could declare that one section is firing at an enemy section, resolve that, then declare that the other two sections will now attempt to close for close combat, then roll for their movement. If both get there, then both fight. Of course, if one of them fails to get in CC range, the other section is stuck fighting on its own...

Likewise, if a BM card comes up, you don't have to declare each of his CI in turn and resolve the results, you can declare that he is using two or more CI at once to issue simulaneous orders. So, a Level III BM could order the first section from the platoon above to fire at the aforementioned enemy, then order the other two sections to charge at once. Of course, he could only be attached to at most one of the three, so he would either direct the fire of the first section, or charge into CC with one of the other sections, adding his dice to the combat (and risking his neck!).

As to Uhraah!, look in the Bonus Cards section in 'What do the cards mean?' at the beginning of the rules... ;^D

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Sun May 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Cerebus wrote:
Vis Bellica wrote:Uhraaah!

Hmmm. Think you've lost me there, but I'll take a stab at guessing what you mean. Something to do with an obscure rule for Russian troops who can all move before undertaking a Close Combat charge???

Correctomundo!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Jim's answer is spot on. You can always coordinate the section actions, but you can't always guarantee success.

John

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Sun May 14, 2017 9:46 pm

I didn't realise that you could co-ordinate attacks like that. That makes the CC rule clear now and also makes the game even more "realistic". So many more tactical options. Only played one and a half games and already these rules batter "the other game" into submission.

Just looked up the Human Wave card. I see what you mean. I missed that on my read through of the rules - probably 'cos I'm unlikely to play Russian armies so didnt bother!

Thanks all for your help with the finer points guys, much appreciated. No doubt I'll be back with more questions when I try the next scenario. (or when I wake up at 3 in the morning with a rules query bugging me).