A couple of questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

John Secker

A couple of questions

Post by John Secker »

I finally got round to playing IABSM - they've been one of "the" rulesets for a while but somehow I had never used them. Anyway I like them a lot, and in particular I find the card-driven mechanism really works for solo play - which is how I have to play most of my games.
So I have a couple of questions, which are probably answered somewhere in the history of this forum, but I haven't found them.

1) Big Men. I fully grasp the idea when you have a Big Man on foot - running around, directing fire, improving morale and so on. But how does it work when he is in a tank, say as the troop leader? If he moves on his card, or (say) on a Dynamic Leader card, does he take the tank with him, as it were? That seems to make the vehicle much too nimble and fast. Or does he jump out and run across to some other unit to rally or direct them? That doesn't strike me as something that would have happened very often.

2) Road movement. I can find nothing in the rules about this, and I assumed that roads just count as hard terrain. But in the Blennville book several scenarios talk about roads which are tarmacked and so do "give the usual road movement bonus" - and others which are tracks so "vehicles gain no benefit to movement". This strongly suggests that there is some road movement bonus, but I can't find it.

Cheers.
John Secker

Truscott Trotter

Re: A couple of questions

Post by Truscott Trotter »

p 25
BICYCLES: Troops on bicycles will double their movement on roads and paths.
Thats the only one I could find

John Secker

Post by John Secker »

Yes, I had spotted that, though I thought my question was quite long enough already so I didn't mention it. But it did make me think, if bicycles get a road bonus, then other vehicles should too - certainly wheeled ones, if not tracks.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

No doubt Richard Avery will be a long shortly to explain, but I think the "usual road movement bonus" is referring to the table in section 2.3 of the rules which vehicles get a bonus when travelling on a hard surface such as a good well paved road. If I recall correctly most of the off road terrain in the Biennville book is classed as Broken Ground which slows vehicles down. Moving along the tracks is movement on open ground which is simply the basic movement distance rolled on the dice.

As to the Dynamic Commander card, remember IASBM is still primarily an infantry focussed game so you might want to restrict that card use to your Infantry Big Men where it probably makes more sense.
I'd agree that if you used it on your tank commander he would count as moving in his vehicle, not on foot unless he was abandoning his own immobilised tank for another. However, he would probably get himself into more trouble by getting too far ahead of the rest of the AFVs in his platoon.
John

John Secker

Post by John Secker »

I looked at 2.3, but that doesn't give me the answer. That says that vehicles can move in either Hard ground or Broken terrain (they can't move at all in Heavy or Impossible). Then it has the table you mention. But if the fields are Broken, and the good roads are Hard, what sort of surface are the tracks? I did wonder if they are drawing a distinction here between Hard terrain and Open terrain, with movement on the latter being subject to no penalties or bonus. But that clashes with the other places in the rules where terrain is described, such as page 7 where it says "Open or Hard Ground: This is terrain where a man can walk unimpeded such as a road, track or open grassland" - suggesting that Open and Hard are the same thing. Maybe again this is based on the roots of IABSM as an infantry game - where you shouldn't get a bonus for road movement on foot. Until told otherwise I will play it that way - roads get the Hard Ground bonuses, but tracks, open grassland etc does not.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

John,
Depending on where and when your battle was taking place I think that you are at liberty to define open grassland as Hard ground and I suspect that's the intended default in the rules which would bring out the speed difference between different categories of vehicle. I was simply offering an interpretation of what might be intended in the scenarios in Bienneville or Bust.
One of the things about TFL rules generally is that they leave it to the players and scenario designers to define the terrain as they consider appropriate and adjust the rules accordingly.

John

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

My brother wants to know why he's supposed to answer questions about my scenario pack!

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

But seriously, in the Blenneville pack, most fields are Broken terrain and all roads are Hard terrain for vehicles. So far so good. Tracks are a mixture of the two i.e. if you're small enough to fit your undercarriage on the track, then count it as Hard, if you aren't, count it as Broken.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Vis Bellica wrote:My brother wants to know why he's supposed to answer questions about my scenario pack!
Sorry Robert, it was late is my only excuse! :oops:

John

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

So,really it's best to define where hard and soft going is and whether it affects tracked or wheeled vehicles, 4x4,4x2, and finally infantry.
You could roll on a resuls table when you move onto it..
I know that's more for SP2, but I'm playing solo and my games are out of various early war novels so I don't have to be a good writer, just able to copy an author and use Don Featherstone's ideas.