Rules clarification

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Hereward

Rules clarification

Post by Hereward » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 am

Hello. I am a new member.
This forum is much better than the yahoo one.
I have a question. In section 1.2.2 of the rules book it says that 'Units may take their actions in whatever order the player chooses' Do I have to announce all of the actions I am taking before I start them, and also announce the order in which I am taking them, or can I announce each action one at a time. For instance, can I move with one action and, depending on the throw of the dice, decide if I want to move again, and possibly again?

John Thomas8

Re: Rules clarification

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:35 am

Naw, before you start moving figures you're going to state what you're going to do with the activation dice.

Hereward

Post by Hereward » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks for the quick reply John.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:54 am

You're welcome. Passing on stuff I've seen Richard write. It's a really fun game, I need to get a good one going here soon.

I'm still pushing myself to test PTO scenarios to get a complete IABSM supplement done for that theatre. Then re-craft them for use with TW&T and CoC.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:24 am

you just say I am activating this unit with such and such big man's command initiative & carry out the action them do the next one. Until he runs out of initiative or you want to use it for something else.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

mickscales

Post by mickscales » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:55 am

I think I have been playing this differently and therefore wrongly. If I want to move up to a hedge, say 4" away, I might get there with one dice but might need two - or even three! I roll the first one and if it's 4,5,6 I get to the hedge and stop. If I get less than this, I say I am going to roll another dice. It seems odd that if a section wanted to move up to cover then spot/fire whatever was required, they would decide to stop before they got there but try and carry out the next action anyway. This would seem more strange as they might not be able to spot/fire if they weren't right up to the hedge anyway.
Hope that makes sense and I'd appreciate some views on what I've been doing.
Thanks

Mick

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:39 am

Greetings

I've seen this done different ways. In 2.2 of v3 of the rules it's pretty clear that for movement you have to specify how many move actions you are using and stick to it. So if you say move 2D6 you have to do so and use all the result specified.

What I do is broadly to say that x actions will be used to move to y and one action to do z.

If the hedge in question is 4" away then with three actions I'd allocate two to moving and the final one to spotting or taking cover. If I really fouled up the 2D6 roll then either the men will be going flat in the lee of the hedge or trying to see if there's something immediately the other side - not what their commander intended but the section commander is clearly being hesitant.

Regards

Edward

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:49 am

I agree, you have to pre-declare what you are doing.
You have to use the whole distance, but if you announce that you are moving up to a hedge, then you stop there if you score more than the distance required.
So you could take a risk and say '1 dice move, 2 dice firing' (or whatever)
Or you could play it safe and say 2 dice moving, 1 dice firing
Or you could play it really safe and say 3 dice moving.

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:25 pm

We've always played that all movement has to be predeclared, with the single codicil that if you reserve dice to cross an obstacle then roll insufficient distance to reach the obstacle, you may roll the reserved dice to at least try and reach the obstacle.

It adds a little more friction to the game and, we find, speeds play up overall.

Cheers,
Jim

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Greetings
JimLeCat wrote:We've always played that all movement has to be predeclared, with the single codicil that if you reserve dice to cross an obstacle then roll insufficient distance to reach the obstacle, you may roll the reserved dice to at least try and reach the obstacle.

It adds a little more friction to the game and, we find, speeds play up overall.

Cheers,
Jim
Good point re obstacles. I think I just say 3 actions to move including crossing the obstacle and then do as you do without really thinking about it - mind you I usually want to hide behind the obstacle rather than cross it unless I'm trying to get into close combat (and the latter in my experiences is usually a mistake ...).

Regards

Edward