Clearing buildings.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

sid2739

Clearing buildings.

Post by sid2739 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:25 am

Hi, I am new to IABSM, having returned to wargaming after a number of years absence. My query concerns how do you get close enough to a building and enter it to clear enemy troops, does it come under the close action rules?
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this.

JimLeCat

Re: Clearing buildings.

Post by JimLeCat » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi,

Short answer, yes!

Long answer - if you get within 2" of the troops inside, and you have a way of reaching them (doors, windows, holes in walls), then close combat begins. The occupants should normally be treated as defending hard cover. If you succeed in wiping them out or making them fall back, then you can occupy the building.

If it is a big building, we would normally divide it into zones or sections before the game, agreeing how they interconnect or not (a row of terraced houses, for instance, don't, whereas a large manor house will connect all areas internally). Each area is then treated as a single small building, except that troops in adjacent zones don't shoot at each other, they engage in close combat whenever one or the other wants to. Usually we treat the defenders as having light cover rather than hard (internal walls are rarely as tough as exterior ones), unless we've agreed otherwise.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Jim

sid2739

Re: Clearing buildings.

Post by sid2739 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks Jim,
Yes indeed, very helpful.
Sid