Question, Scenario #14, Anzio book, Robert Avery, help

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

dsenebrecht

Question, Scenario #14, Anzio book, Robert Avery, help

Post by dsenebrecht »

Hi folks: looking to play Scenario #14: North of Carroceto

the book refers to a railroad cutting. it makes no statement however on how steep it is, if vehicles can enter it or not, etc... in other scenarios in the book it will say whether a cutting or ravine can be crossed by vehicles.

any thoughts on how to play this situation? specifically, rules for tanks going down into or up out of the cutting? thanks, Dan
Vis Bellica

Re: Question, Scenario #14, Anzio book, Robert Avery, help

Post by Vis Bellica »

Hiya

The cutting is about in the centre of the map and cuts through the long low hill that runs left-to-right.

So you have the disused railway line running along the top of the embankment left-to-right, and the road and the actual railway line running through the embankment top-to-bottom. The embankment itself is a long, low hill. The cutting for the road is where the hill is low, so can be crossed relatively easily: count as rough ground. The cutting for the railway line is through quite a substantial part of the embankment, so cannot be crossed by vehicles of any sort. Foot would spend all their Actions scrambling up or down it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

R
dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht »

Thanks! I thought that would be the case but since there was not that explanation in the text I wasn't quite sure what to do.
dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht »

Adding this reply I got from Robert himself on Facebook (for the record):

That's my bad, I'm afraid...or my good, dependent on how you look at it. When I first started writing the scenario books, I was well aware that people only have access to certain sized tables, so I never specified the size, just provided a non-specific-size map and suggested that people make their table look approx. like it. After all, most of the scenarios are pretty tolerant of that, and flexibility is a key tenet of Lard philosophy. After some pressure from consumers such as yourself, however, my later books all have the table sizes specified. So apologies, but assume they are all 6x5!