Close Combat Question

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

dakkadakka

Close Combat Question

Post by dakkadakka »

We were playing a game today and ran into a question about close combat. A British squad moved into a house, which then put them within 4” of two German squads located outside the opposite side of the house. One was in the open while the second was off to the side behind a small hedge. During the close combat that followed we were trying to figure out whether to give the Brits the bonus dice for being in heavy cover.

Since they were the ones that initiated the charge, as the attackers it would seem that they wouldn’t benefit from the cover. This assumes that close combat is considered hand-to-hand, punch him in the face melee. But, since the rule states that CC occurs between units up to 4” apart, if Rich is assuming close combat also includes point blank firing, grenade tossing, etc, then I can see the argument that the house would provide cover. This assumes that some men are punching it out while others are chucking pineapples and shooting through doorways and windows from inside the house.

To me it seems like the latter version is more reasonable . If the former was intended, then close combat would only occur when the units were in base contact with the enemy. I’d love to hear how more experienced IABSM players would have handled that situation.

Regards,

Jim
Vis Bellica

Re: Close Combat Question

Post by Vis Bellica »

I would have given the Brits cover.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I would give them the benefit of cover too.
Close combat is not solely “hand to hand, punch him in the face melee”. It includes short range fire and the use of grenades on enemy who are within 80’ (4”) of the attacker. That’s a long way to throw a punch. :D

John
dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

That’s kind of the way I felt as well - thanks guys!!!