Some noobie questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

veer

Some noobie questions

Post by veer »

I'm want to base a few more 6mm WW2 Germans to play I Ain't Been Shot Mum with. Looking for some tips from people who know the game and/or German organisation during the late war in Normandy.

1. The book says a regular rifle sections consists of 8 men, but I've allready based squads with 10 men in the past. Should I just pull two off or are 10 men squads during this period fine as well? (or maybe just use 10 figures for 8 strenght points?)

2. I've based full squads on a single base but I see most people use three bases for one squad. Whats the advantage for using multiple bases?

3. The squads I've already based also have an MG42 on there. Is it historical for the period to have an MG42 with every rifle squad? And does the game assume there are MG's in rifle squads, or should there only be rifles?

4. In the handbook it says that a Panzergrenadier company for example uses around 35 halftracks in the whole company. Is it recommended to follow these rules? I can't imagine using this many vehicles in 6mm, let alone in 15mm or larger.

Thanks in advance
Archdukek

Re: Some noobie questions

Post by Archdukek »

Welcome to playing IABSM.
1. The rules author took the decision to portray the sections/squads In the rules as slightly under strength in line with the historical reality in most cases rather than following the TOE. Few companies or platoons were fielded at full strength either due to casualties, sickness or men on detached duty or left out of battle for other reasons.
Given that the number of actions available to a squad is affected by the number of men in the squad If you field full strength squads of 10 figures you will need to find some way to track their remaining strength points. You could use a micro dice to do so.

2. Using multiple bases allows you to track casualties on the squad more easily by allowing you to remove figures as kills occur, but still facilitates easy movement compared to using individual figures. That’s easier to do with larger scale figures than 6mm.

3. In IABSM all basic infantry squads are assumed to have a squad automatic weapon/LMG within it as most did historically. Those few that didn’t suffer a penalty when firing, those such as German Panzergrenadiers who routinely had 2 LMGs per squad later in the War gain a benefit of an extra dice when firing. So modelling an LMG in your squad is fine.

4. At the groundscale of an IABSM game it would be rare to find all of a Company mounted in half tracks so close to the enemy. Most German infantry marched and fought on foot. The majority of Panzergrenadiers travelled in trucks and fought on foot. Only a single infantry battalion in a Panzer division would have half tracks and they were often left back safe from enemy fire particularly in the close terrain of Normandy. So it’s perfectly feasible to limit the number of half tracks you choose to field to perhaps sufficient for a single platoon (4) or even none at all.

Hope this helps.

John
veer

Post by veer »

Amazing John, thank you so much for the answers! I think I'll keep the squads I've based with ten dudes as they are now, as I will keep track of casualties on a sheet anyway. Ill use 8 men on the next ones I'm basing. Keeping the MG's of course.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Glad to help. I should also have suggested that you should check out Robert Avery’s excellent Vis Lardica website for lots of useful IABSM related material including various AARs from Mark Luther and others using 6mm figures. Lots of inspiration on tap.

https://www.vislardica.com/introduction-to-iabsm

John
kula66

Post by kula66 »

For 6mm inspiration, have a look at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming/albums

James
mluther

Post by mluther »

For 6mm I just mount 3 to 5 minis on a penny and use 2 pennies for a section/squad. I also use a roster sheet to track the casualties per section instead of a micro dice next to the unit. The micro dice are too easy for me to knock over and lose the count.
Earlier remarks regarding HT are also good. I hardly ever get a unit of HTs on the table, even though I have plenty to choose from!
The great thing about 6mm is that you are able to use terrain as it is intended and not just something that gets in the way of your toys. Makes sense since you are dealing with 24 sq ft of table usually and less than 1 sq foot of miniature men. 6mm really gives a good sense of the empty battlefield.
Feel free to pm me with questions and have fun playing.
Mark