Caen scenario - blinds setup and revealing

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

dakkadakka

Caen scenario - blinds setup and revealing

Post by dakkadakka »

Another couple of noob questions here. In the Caen scenario it says that the Germans can deploy 5 sections/teams in foxholes. I have looked through the rules and blogs about terrain feature blinds; and have found that woods, thick hedges, buildings, bunkers, and high walls offer enough concealment as to allow units to deploy hidden, without blinds being placed on the table. What about foxholes? Would those blinds be deployed, or are they considered hidden?

Also, If they are considered hidden, the foxholes terrain features themselves are not placed on the table until the blind is spotted (placing the blind marker on the table), correct?

Regards,

Jim
Archdukek

Re: Caen scenario - blinds setup and revealing

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jim,
I’d say that it depends on where you place your foxholes and how well camouflaged they are. At a minimum foxholes in the open providing good cover as in the Caen example should be treated as Badly obstructed for spotting attempts in my view.
Place those foxholes at the foot of hedgerows or at the edge of woods, as they often were, and you have something which I would say qualifies as a Hidden blind.
They wouldn’t be placed until the unit in them is spotted in either event, but you might want to note their location on a map before the game starts.

John
dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

John:

That makes sense. I’m refereeing a “shelter at home” game where the guys text general orders to me and I handle the mechanics (with a little “artistic license” regarding the interpretation of those orders 😜! The German player placed two of the three foxholes in an orchard just behind a hedge; so, I’m going with your opinion and making those hidden blinds. The third foxhole is in an open are between a barn and a house. There is a hedge nearby but the foxhole is not up against it; so, I think I’ll put a blind out for that one.

Thanks so much for all your kind responses to my never-ending stream of questions. The biggest tree root that I’m tripping over with these rules is there is a lot of leeway in many of the game mechanics regarding terrain. I’m used to a strict set of rules, with tables and modifiers (GdA is right up my alley). While I really like what I see in this ruleset thus far, it’s going to be a bit of a departure from the games I (and my gaming group) normally play.

Regards,

Jim
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jim,
No problem, glad you find my comments and suggestions helpful.

“I Ain’t Been Shot Mum” owes more than a little to the Kriegsspiel approach to wargaming providing a tool box of rules which players can apply to the wildly variable set of circumstances found on a miniature WW2 battlefield. That flexibility is its strength, but does take some getting used to if you have previously played with a more prescriptive, modifier for everything, rule set. I always recommend keeping firmly in mind the TFL mantra “Play the period, not the rules!”

If a ruling would have made sense in the real world setting then go with that, but if you really can’t decide roll a dice and stick with that outcome to keep the game moving and discuss the situation later. And as your authority for that approach when running a game you can always cite the Introduction on page 1 which should be compulsory reading for all participants. :D

John