Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tom Ballou

Making IABSM less deadly

Post by Tom Ballou » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:31 pm

I was wondering has anyone played with

1-2 Miss
3-5 Shock
6 Kill

Making Shock a bigger part of them game. I've been playing CoC lately, so going back to the To Hit/To Kill tables of IABSM is interesting in the different approaches.

Just a random thought.

Of course there is no Army morale, so it just may be moot.
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

cornelius

Re: Making IABSM less deadly

Post by cornelius » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:12 pm

Not tried it. Presumably with more shock, sections are more likely to break, rather than carrying on fighting but with fewer men (though of course once down to zero actions a section is useless anyway and effectivelty broken).

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 pm

There is an article in one of the specials about adding CoC type force moral to IABSM.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:29 am

Hi Tom,
I'm afraid that your random thought is actually a very bad idea in my opinion. :-)

Such a change would have quite a profound effect on the game, probably lengthening games significantly and making it harder to reach a conclusion. While superficially similar the mechanisms in IABSM and CoC work in subtly different ways which reflect both the longer timescales and different groundscales in IABSM compared to CoC.

For instance in IABSM excess Shock does not pin or break units, but rather it forces them to withdraw away from the enemy and prevents them attacking. Units don't break and rout but pull back instead and can be rallied to return to the fray.

Reducing a unit's combat effectiveness in IABSM is mainly achieved by reducing the actions available to the men in it, limiting their ability to both fire and move and that is done through inflicting "kills" on the unit. Halving the number of kills by moving to only causing Shock on a 5 rather than a kill would mean that units could remain more active for longer, greatly increasing their resilience and lengthening the game.

Units in IABSM are "broken" by reducing their actions to 0 through inflicting kills you cannot rally off. It doesn't mean they are dead just that they no longer have sufficient combat effective troops to carry on. Shock limits their efficiency but doesn't break units.

Units in CoC on the other hand are broken by piling Shock on them to the point that they run away from the close contact with the enemy which a CoC game represents. Kills reduce the units resilience, but as we all know it's more likely to succumb to Shock before its wiped out most of the time.

John