Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

dsenebrecht

Questions, Section 8.1 Firing at a Target

Post by dsenebrecht » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:13 am

There are various modifiers to the "to hit" process such as
-1 if Firer is under fire
-1 if Target is moving

I feel pretty confident in saying that if
-if the Firer was fired upon in the previous turn or during the current turn then the "-1" is applicable
-if the Target moved during the previous turn or during the current turn then the "-1" is applicable

Additionally, for example:
-Turn 1: the target moved, tea break card later drawn
-Turn 2: the target's card was not drawn and it did not move
-Turn 3: the enemy fires at the target but does not "-1" from his 2D6 roll to hit the target

Does that sound right? Thanks, Dan

Archdukek

Re: Questions, Section 8.1 Firing at a Target

Post by Archdukek » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:05 am

Hi Dan,
Those modifiers only apply to firing at vehicles and I have always only applied them if the conditions are met in the current Turn, not in the previous Turn. Tea Break represents a natural break or lull in the action and nothing is carried over. So it can be an advantage to be activated early that Turn allowing you to seize the initiative and act before the enemy moves or brings you under fire.

John

dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:16 pm

I see your point, John, but doesn't seem a bit weird that if, for example:
Turn 1: 4 tanks in a platoon all move 3D6
Tea Break
Turn 2: my tank is activated and now I can shoot at any one of those 4 tanks as if they were not moving? That doesn't seem right to me
-even if those 4 tanks were using all of their actions for moving based upon individual movement
-even if those 4 tanks were using all of their actions for moving on a Transit order

Personally, since its only a "-1" modifier, I don't think its a huge disadvantage to me as a firer and that those targets should get the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, the tea break represents a lull in the action but that doesn't mean when the tea break card is drawn that it means that every unit that moved that turn suddenly decided to stop moving...or for example, decided to stop firing at me..........so much so that the following turn I get to shoot at them as if they were not moving and did not fire at me only seconds earlier.....

Just my thoughts...

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Dan,
I take your point especially about firing on vehicles on Transit orders or in a convoy who might reasonably be expected to be still moving through Tea Break and into this Turn. I can see an argument for making an exception in those specific cases and allowing the modifier.

However, in most cases AFVs not on Transit orders are more likely to be moving cautiously, even if using 3 actions, looking out for the enemy or for a good firing position. Counting the modifier for moving in the previous Turn introduces unnecessary complications in my view.
If an AFV uses 1 action at the beginning of the previous turn should it count as moving if fired upon next turn? If it only moved with 1 action at the end of the previous turn why assume it's still moving this turn?

To me the KISS principle and my reading of the rules says the modifier only applies if movement happens earlier in the current turn. However, as I say, I would not be averse to make an exception for units on Transit orders who use all their actions to move last turn being treated as moving in this turn.

I think firing is different. Most firing is done in contained bursts during a Turn which lasts up to a minute. Tea Break is not seconds but a lull of several minutes when all firing or fighting has temporarily ceased. I would therefore only count the under fire modifier if the firer had been shot at this Turn.

John

John

dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 pm

I definitely agree with you about your point of: "If an AFV uses 1 action at the beginning of the previous turn should it count as moving if fired upon next turn? If it only moved with 1 action at the end of the previous turn why assume it's still moving this turn?"

However, tanks moving with all 3 actions should be harder to hit...

ah, well, I guess we can leave it to a gentleman's agreement depending upon the given situation. For example, is the target moving across the unit's field of fire, overall speed for example did it move more than "x" number of inches using all 3 actions, etc.

Thanks again for the timely feedback