Anyone here use Sabot bases with 15mm

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

acctingman

Anyone here use Sabot bases with 15mm

Post by acctingman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Looking at Warbases site and I'm intrigued with Sabot basing. Would IABSM be a tad too big a game to justify sabot bases? If anyone here uses these bases what size slots are you using?

Thanks

Vis Bellica

Re: Anyone here use Sabot bases with 15mm

Post by Vis Bellica » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:51 am

I use sabot bases, custom cut for me by Warbases.

My infantry are individually based on 5p pieces, with squad support weapons on a 2p piece. I have three types of sabot base: 6 individuals and 1 SSW team; 8 individuals and 1 SSW team; and 4 individuals and 2 SSW teams. The sabot also has a hole for a little die to record Shock.

You can see examples all over my AAR (plenty posted here and on Vis Lardica), but here's a pic:

I'm sure Warbases could cut some for you too.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 am

Hey @Vis Lardica, amazed how much detail you can cram into 15mm figs :-)

Like the green edges to the sabots. I use a more sandy colour for my bases and flock with green grass, but haven't decided yet what colour to paint the sabot edges. Did you experiment with other colours? Black, brown?
Do you also paint the undersides of the sabots?

acctingman

Post by acctingman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm

What size slots are best for 15mm figures? I'm in the US, but I know Warbases takes custom orders.

Thanks

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Contrarius wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 am
Hey @Vis Lardica, amazed how much detail you can cram into 15mm figs :-)

Like the green edges to the sabots. I use a more sandy colour for my bases and flock with green grass, but haven't decided yet what colour to paint the sabot edges. Did you experiment with other colours? Black, brown?
Do you also paint the undersides of the sabots?
Hiya

I find it's the little touches that make a difference. Outlining the shoulder flaps in white (not especially accurate historically!) creates a contrast that brings the figure to life.

The sabot bases are just sprayed green and then flocked on top (not in the holes). Didn't really think about trying any other colours, just followed what I do for the figures. Everything western Europe has the same green for the sides of bases and/or sabots.

And, no, I didn't paint the undersides!

R