Halftracks in a company structure

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

acctingman

Halftracks in a company structure

Post by acctingman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Looking over the Army lists in the rule book I'm unsure how halftracks fit into the structure of a mechanized infantry company.

Would it be a support option? Say, for the Germans. Mechanized Infantry platoon.....3x 250/1's and 3 rifle squads. Something along those lines? Is there any additional army lists breakdowns for IABSM that I'm not seeing?

Thanks

Archdukek

Re: Halftracks in a company structure

Post by Archdukek » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:49 pm

The lists in the rule book provide some basic company structures to get you started. The various IABSM handbooks expand and elaborate on these including providing information on any vehicles which a company may have access to.

The "Battle for Liberation" Handbook covers the war in the West from Normandy onwards, while "Vpered na Berlin" does the same for the Eastern Front. The latest Blitzkreig in the West supplements provide even more detail on the specific armies involved in that campaign.

So a Late War German Panzergrenadier Company can include a 251/1 half track for each squad in each platoon plus a 251/1 or 251/10 for the platoon commander or they can be mounted in trucks as was more commonly the case. The smaller 250/1s would be found in the Aufklarungs recconnaissance company.

IABSM doesn't use support options in the same way as CoC. It's up to the scenario design to decide what, if any, vehicles might be involved in a game.

John

acctingman

Post by acctingman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:54 pm

John

Thank you for the information. I'll be looking to buy and and all supplements for IABSM

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:26 pm

I was also wondering how the Germans organized their motorized infantry (Schuetzen) in the early war period, specifically in units attached to panzer divisions, before these units were redesignated as Panzergrenadiers.

In Poland for example, the standard German infantry squad was too large to fit in a single Sdkfz 251/1, which I believe has a capacity of ten including the driver. Was the Schuetzen squad reduced to fit, or was it spread over more than one vehicle? Also, when was the standard squad assigned two MG34s instead of one?
I should add that there were only a few companies in Poland equipped with 'Hanomags', the majority made do with Schnauzers and other trucks.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:08 am

Hi Contrarius,
Can I suggest that you acquire the Blitzkreig in the West-Germany Handbook for IABSM which contains lots of useful information on forces in that period which might help answer some of your questions. It includes an interesting discussion on the availability of the 251/1 in 1940.

The CoC Blitzkreig in the West Handbook suggests that the Schutzen platoons in the 5th to 10th Panzer Divisions were reorganised into the two MG34 structure before the invasions in May 1940 while all the Schutzen platoons were now based on 10 man squads following the Polish campaign.

John

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Page 151 to be exact!

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Archdukek wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:08 am
Hi Contrarius,
Can I suggest that you acquire the Blitzkreig in the West-Germany Handbook for IABSM which contains lots of useful information on forces in that period which might help answer some of your questions. It includes an interesting discussion on the availability of the 251/1 in 1940.

The CoC Blitzkreig in the West Handbook suggests that the Schutzen platoons in the 5th to 10th Panzer Divisions were reorganised into the two MG34 structure before the invasions in May 1940 while all the Schutzen platoons were now based on 10 man squads following the Polish campaign.

John
Thanks for that, @Archdukek. I was interested specifically in the 1939 campaign. Also I'm trying to curb my book-buying habit, which is starting to run out of control.

I was rather hoping someone had seen definitive information, such as the official organizational tables (KStN) for Schuetzen platoons from 1938/39.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Only if they are in wwii day by day?

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:44 am

Archdukek wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:08 am

I was rather hoping someone had seen definitive information, such as the official organizational tables (KStN) for Schuetzen platoons from 1938/39.
That's what I used when I put together the Blitzkrieg/German handbook!