Spotting AFV's

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Ian F

Spotting AFV's

Post by Ian F »

Just started IABSM and found that a troop of 4 Shermans in the open about 18"" away from a Pak 40 still had to be spotted when the Pak was activated. I realise this is an auto spot on the tea break card, but 4 Shermans in open ground and a throw still needed. To compound my discomfort my regular opponent is a veteran of BAOR and operated Chieftains fell about laughing and told me in no uncertain terms of the dust, mud and smoke thrown up, noise and how could a 5 man crew miss the troop, some version of a stomach battalion, but with eyesight issues. Am I missing something in the rules, any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Kustenjaeger

Re: Spotting AFV's

Post by Kustenjaeger »

It’s a while since I delved into IABSM.

I assume that the Sherman troop was on a blind? The Wargames table may be flat but the real ground may have dead ground etc. The PAK crew will undoubtedly know the Shermans are in the vicinity but have to spot them to actually fire at one of them.

If the blind is 18” away they are going to spot on a 4 on 2D6 assuming no modifiers e.g. the blind did not move this turn. So the gunners have a (1+2)/36 chance of not spotting the Shermans clearly enough to shot at or about 8%. Also spotting could be done by any other German team and the PAK crew would count the tanks as spotted. (All on p.28).

Edward

Ian F

Re: Spotting AFV's

Post by Ian F »

OK, thanks for this, will check we are doing it right.