Reserved action

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Darren

Reserved action

Post by Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:00 am

Hi All,

I admit to not understanding how reserved actions work. I'm prepared to concede I missed something in the rules.

I understand that an Infantry section, weapons team or gun on overwatch has its actions reserved for spotting or firing. An AFV with an engage order also has its actions reserved.

On the appearance of the tea break card, any reserved dice can be used; what can be done with this dice?

As an example, could an Infantry section with 3 actions do the following;
- use 2 dice to fire
- reserve 1 dice to use at the turn of the tea break card
- then fire again or move
Is this what can be done with reserved dice?
Does this mean the section has then activated twice in the turn, which the rules don't allow?

Is the issue how the section is activated?
If the platoon card is drawn the section could use 2 actions. Third action could be used when the big men card is drawn and the section activated to use the third. Wouldn't this be a second activation, which isn't allowed.

Alternatively, if the section is activated by the big man, could the section use 2 actions, reserving the third for when the platoon card or tea break card is drawn. Again, isn't a second activation?

Regards
Darren

Archdukek

Re: Reserved action

Post by Archdukek » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi Darren,
Already answered this on the IABSM Facebook Group.

The use of reserved actions isn't a second activation, it's simply deferring the action until circumstances change later in the turn. Those actions are restricted to spotting or firing, they can't be used for movement. If they are not used by Tea Break they are lost.

It's effectively a mechanism for managing some of the friction in the game and not penalising the ability of units who are activated early from reacting to the enemy.

John

Darren

Re: Reserved action

Post by Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Thank you John