Need clarification: Scenarios 4& 5 Where the hell...boys

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

dsenebrecht

Need clarification: Scenarios 4& 5 Where the hell...boys

Post by dsenebrecht » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi folks: Getting ready to play Scenario Five Blocking the Road Holding the Line at Vierville from Where the Hell have you been boys?

Map questions:
Are the green lines just hedges or are they thick bocage?
Are the grey lines low walls or high walls?
What are the two light brown rectangles in Southwest quadrant of map?
The letters "C" and "D" are marked on the map but I see no reference to them in scenario.... is that a mistake?

Also, for Scenario #4,
--where do initial US forces enter?
--Are the green lines just hedges or are they thick bocage?
--Are the grey lines low walls or high walls?

Thanks, Dan
-

dsenebrecht

Re: Need clarification: Scenarios 4& 5 Where the hell...boys

Post by dsenebrecht » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:21 pm

For the record in case of questions about these scenarios in the future, Mike Whitaker and Tim Whitworth, think that:
For Scenario 5
- I'd treat the grey as mostly high walls, looking at street view.
- the hedges don't look like bocage
- can't tell from Street View what the rectangles are - gardens, possibly?
- I would assume C-D marks the limit of German deployment
-The hedges are not bocage because it is a little too close to the coast for them. From my recollection/experiences in Normandy they (bocage hedging) start to be encountered a little further inland.
-Most of the walls enclosing Normandy farmhouses, particular one adjacent to main roads tend to be of a height of 5 to 7 feet. I would treat them as high walls.
For Scenario 4,
same responses.... these are hedges not bocage
In re-reading scenario, it seems most likely that the initial American squads enter at Point B and then are ordered to reconnoiter towards Point D (aka, Ormel Farm) which they think this the Chateau.

Other deployments as noted in the book,
"On the fourth turn card the following US reinforcements from the 5th Rangers will arrive at point C"
"Once the farm falls, or a fire-fight begins, add a “turn” card to the pack. Two turns later the German
main force will arrive at point A on a blind. These are the elements of the 352nd Pioneer Abteilung which
have been sent to counter attack."