Bogeys in solo BTH

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Abwehrschlacht

Bogeys in solo BTH

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

I'm getting ready to start playing some solo games of BTH, but am wondering how useful the Bogeys are in a solo game? Do others use them when playing solo? I know there are rules abound for using a simple opponent AI, but I don't use them myself and play each side to what I think is the best choice at the time. I can see Bogeys being useful when playing against a real opponent or an AI, but what about otherwise?
Baldie

Re: Bogeys in solo BTH

Post by Baldie »

Hi There

I would not think there was much use for them, the random card activation should give you some of the randomness that solo gaming needs.

That said

If you were having some brave Soviet types advancing towards the hated enemy and you placed the bogeys randomly. So even you did not know which were the flights of easy to kill Stukas off to bomb your comrades and which were the flights of ME 109's ready to tear into em.

That could add even more randomness.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.
Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

Cheers Lee, yeah, I can see both those arguments there.
Munin

Post by Munin »

Bogeys do still have a little bit of effect in solo BTH because it's possible to fail a spot test. You can't shoot what you can't see, so the unspotted side may have an advantage.

And I agree, using random playing cards or markers as blinds would go a long way to mixing it up for both sides, especially if you have some decoy bogeys (bogus bogeys?) in there.
Joe Legan

Post by Joe Legan »

I really tried to get blinds into solo BTH when I wrote squadron forward. The juice just didn't seem worth the squeeze at the end. Bogeys are helpful but I think it is even easier if you dice for position and then just start with everyone spotted. I applaud your efforts!

Joe
James C

Post by James C »

You could try my "Achtung! Indianer" article from Lard Magazine 2018. There are some changes I would make in retrospect, but it works very well solo and should give you a good jumping off point.
Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

Cheers, I'll check them out.
tinfish

Post by tinfish »

You will always know what is under the bogey, so the fake ones will be pointless, but the mechanic itself is fine in solo. Until spotted the things are like ufo's. I know it is an abstraction to represent you not knowing where they are, but I do think they are worth keeping even in solo.
Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

I guess it just means that they cannot be attacked by any spotted aircraft, so it's like a protection for them to get into position and I can see the use in solo games with that in mind.
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Also, you could dice for each bogey when spotted as to whether it's a real (and if so which one) (1-2 Me109, 3-4 Stuka, 5-6 Dummy)- that way you wouldn't know which bogey is the dummy.