Diving your plane in Bag the Hun-where are the rules?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Danni1

Diving your plane in Bag the Hun-where are the rules?

Post by Danni1 »

Are there stats given for individual planes when they dive, or rules that take diving into account as a faster maneuver for some planes than others? I'd like to recreate air battles where the Americans used their heavier aircraft to out-dive the Japanese planes instead of dogfighting them. There may be rules that allow me to do this but I'm not finding them in the rulebook and my wingman is giving me dirty looks through his cockpit. Help out a sprog would ya lads?

Ms. Dannielle Lee Leonard
Archdukek

Re: Diving your plane in Bag the Hun-where are the rules?

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Danni,
As far as I know the only rules in the core book which relate dive ability to aircraft weight is the Special rule for Republic Thunderbolts which gives them a +2 Spd if the move includes a dive. See the Aircraft Data Tables page 7.

Two alternative options occur to me:
1) Adopt the Special rule which applies to some planes like the Messerschmitt 109 if that seems more appropriate; or
2) Limit the lighter Japanese aircraft to a change of 2 rather than 3 altitude bands in a Hard Dive but that would be guaranteed to shake them off and might be too much of a change.

John
Danni1

Post by Danni1 »

Thanks for the heads-up John. Maybe I will give a plus 1 to early American fighters say pre 1942 and from 1943 on give a plus 2. That sounds sorta reasonable.

Dannielle Lee Leonard
Joe Legan

Post by Joe Legan »

What I do for this is give the US plane an extra +1 on the stay on the tail test since that is when it seems to come up.

Cheers

JOE