Finest hour supplement

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

prestontfe@gmail.com

Finest hour supplement

Post by prestontfe@gmail.com »

Looking to run a campaign of this when they free us from the caves again. One thing that puzzles me ( and please correct me if I am wrong). The Brit player would likely break off if things were getting too hairy to preserve his pilots. The aggressor is unlikely to do the same as there is no imperative to do so, meaning that they are likely to fight to the death and inflict casualties on the Brit player. Is this a ‘thing’ or am I over thinking it?
Cheers,
Steve
Archdukek

Re: Finest hour supplement

Post by Archdukek »

Both sides would be concerned about maintaining their future capability. If players won’t take that into account then I’d suggest that the simplest solution is to set a limit in your scenario for planes lost or damaged after which the aggressor must break off.

Our preferred solution was to create opposing squadrons which we drew the fighter planes from so both sides had an incentive to preserve their best pilots. A bit unrealistic historically but worked for us.

John
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Only ever played this twice (first time was over a year ago) so apologies for missing any obvious point(s) in this. Wouldn't fuel capacity (and hence time over the target) dictate how long a fight went on for in real life? Perhaps set a fixed number of turns, at the end of which everyone breaks off and heads for home?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Billchuck

Post by Billchuck »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:43 pm Only ever played this twice (first time was over a year ago) so apologies for missing any obvious point(s) in this. Wouldn't fuel capacity (and hence time over the target) dictate how long a fight went on for in real life? Perhaps set a fixed number of turns, at the end of which everyone breaks off and heads for home?
Typically it was the Germans who had fuel limits, as they had to cross the Channel to get to the fight, then cross again after the fight was over. Give them a turn limit and you have a good reason for both sides to eventually want to break off.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:43 pm Only ever played this twice (first time was over a year ago) so apologies for missing any obvious point(s) in this. Wouldn't fuel capacity (and hence time over the target) dictate how long a fight went on for in real life? Perhaps set a fixed number of turns, at the end of which everyone breaks off and heads for home?
Yes the Finest Hour Supplement contains a “No Fuel to Duel” rule which you can use either by fixing a set number of turns limit or by having a random element determined by drawing a card and rolling to see if a German plane is running low on fuel and needs to head home.

John
James C

Post by James C »

I include the No Fuel To Duel card as well, but it doesn't become a factor that often. I'd include either a turn limit, or some sort of "if this many fighters are damaged or downed, we'll withdraw" conditions. You could even have different withdraw criteria on different cards based on aggressive or cautious commanders and draw the card before the game.