Gun Pods

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Martin Lefebvre

Gun Pods

Post by Martin Lefebvre »

Maybe I missed it in the rulebook, but what are the rules for adding gunpods to FW-190s and BF-109s if I'm designing a scenario sending them against B-24s?

I'm assuming an increase in FP in exchange for them behaving encumbered?

For example, I'm assuming that each M2 Browning is 2FP, therefore the the A36 Apache with 2 pods containing 2 guns each would give the Apache 12 base (6x wing .50s) plus 8 (4x.50 in the pods) for a total of 20 dice?

(I'm using the Apache since it has a uniform gun armament, whereas the German planes have a strange mix of 13, 20 and 30mm guns, and I don't feel like doing algebra before my morning coffee.)
James C

Re: Gun Pods

Post by James C »

I have treated them as loaded in the past, but my research has shown that I may be penalizing them too much, especially with regards to speed. So currently I’m not lowering their speed, but knocking their MAN rating down by 1. That should be enough to put them at a disadvantage against an unencumbered fighter without unrealistically penalizing them. (as an aside, many books say that their performance suffered with the gondolas on, but if you look at the actual performance numbers, I seems that many books overstate the case using only anecdotal evidence).