Getting started with Chain of Command

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Re: Getting started with Chain of Command

Post by MLB »

I had no idea it was so contentious, as I’ve actually never used it. Perhaps I should reconsider if it belongs in that post, thanks.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

It wasn't when it first started but recently some stuff has changed and has raised a few questions and not just by me.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I'd keep the link in despite TT's reservation, it's potentially very useful to new players.

The Consolidated Arsenal is generally not that contentious as far as I can see, but sometimes changes are made which surprise folk. When that happens I'd suggest the answer is for them to pose a question about it on the Arsenal thread or create a new thread to give Neal and others an opportunity to say why the change was made. You can then decide if you agree or not. No one is forced to use the Consolidated Arsenal.

There's been some discussion about Shermans recently, don't recall anything about the Tiger but I haven't looked.

John
MLB

Post by MLB »

I've tweaked the section on the CA just to say it's not official, even though it contains a great deal that is.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

I've written a post about the command dice aimed at new players or those who might think CoC is some sort of dice lottery (see copious posts on the subject on TMP!). It's really aimed at new players encouraging them to explore how they can use the dice in combination with leaders and other rules to make the most of the game. I've including a link in the Getting Started post and you can jump to it right here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... in-of.html
The Tactical Painter
naash

Post by naash »

I'm planning to initiate a friend of mine.
Is there a scenario that's really fit to this purpose ?

I'm looking for standard US/Germans or AB Brits/Germans.

Any advice ?
Thanks !
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I would use the Scenario 3 in the book and give your friend the defenders
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:33 am I would use the Scenario 3 in the book and give your friend the defenders
Good advice there from TT. If you don't want to have too much support in a first game either decide beforehand on a total or use Scenario 2 Probe.
Most of the PSCs will have examples of these 2 scenarios if you're looking for inspiration for your tabletop layout.

John
naash

Post by naash »

Ok thanks !

I already have several PSCs.
I’ll chose a table... ;)
siggian

Post by siggian »

The key piece of advice I have to all new players is to not be in a rush to deploy all of your units.

Undeployed units are your reserve, and unlike many rules, they can swing the battle decisively with a key deployment.

Additionally, when you deploy all of your units, often times you don't have enough command dice to activate all of them so you end up with units that don't do anything. It's better to have a smaller number of units that are doing something every phase than to have more units where some of them do nothing.

Finally, off board units don't take casualties so it is a way to preserve units until you need them.