US Cavalry Recon Platoon

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

hedgehobbit

Re: US Cavalry Recon Platoon

Post by hedgehobbit »

The platoon TO&E didn't have bazooka or .50 cals. A M8 might have a .50 cal on it but it carried the tripod for the .30 cal (the coax). So they wouldn't be able to use the .50 dismounted.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The company (Troop) has 4 bazookas and some .50 cals it can lend out to the platoons.

Of course using the basic Chain of Command support lists a player can pick up a bazooka but it then it is not an upgrade for the platoon soldiers.

mr pumblechook

Post by mr pumblechook »

If you go by the pure infantry model with vehicles as add-ons then you should get a small discount for the armoured cars as you're drawing on your core infantry (and junior leaders?) to crew them.

Patrick R

Post by Patrick R »

Easy Eight made an extension/scenario pack for Battleground WWII.Called Fury on the Fatherland. Goes into some detail on the TOE and equipment used.

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

Patrick R wrote:Easy Eight made an extension/scenario pack for Battleground WWII.Called Fury on the Fatherland. Goes into some detail on the TOE and equipment used.
That's one I don't have. It was after the scale switch so I wasn't buying their stuff anymore. I'll try to find a copy.

lebedo

Post by lebedo »

So, I'm trying to figure out a french Recon troop.
The core infantry is made of 2 lmg teams, tripod, ans 1 mortar team. This gives a -7, right?
Then I add the transports, 2 jeeps and 1 scout-car, so 2+4=6. This gives in turn a -1.
Then I add the direct support: 3 M8 armored-cars, 1 M8 Hmc and 1 57mm atg. So, 15+5+5= 25.
This, in turn, gives a FR of 25-1=24?
Have I misses something?
Thanks.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

I ran into similar difficulties with the 1941 German Panzergrenadier platoon, with 1x Sd.Kfz 251/10 + 3x Sd.Kfz 251/1.

There are basically three ways of doing this, either it is as you've set out 2 LMG squads + support, OR it is a platoon of three M8 armored cars (use Big Chain of Command to figure out the FR of that) plus supports. OR, is this a Big CoC game with one recon platoon + one platoon of armored cars + supports? And of course you get different FRs depending on which way you choose to calculate.

In my situation I decided it's a Panzergrenadier platoon with integrated halftracks. It has a Force Rating of +14.

In your situation I'd definitely make it a Big CoC game, otherwise you won't have enough command dice to do anything. So:

Platoon 1:
The core infantry is made of 2 lmg teams, tripod, and 1 mortar team
Plus transports, 2 jeeps and 1 scout-car
Support: 1 57mm atg

Platoon 2:
3 M8 armored-cars
Support: 1 M8 Hmc

lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Thanks, I was worried about the FR. That vélos a lot.

lebedo

Post by lebedo »

That helps a lot...sorry...