US Cavalry Recon Platoon

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

hedgehobbit

US Cavalry Recon Platoon

Post by hedgehobbit »

I wrote up a list for the US Cavalry Recon Platoon. The platoon is composed of three M8 armored cars and six jeeps; three with M1919 MGs and three with 60mm mortars. I'm trying to get the wording complete while simple enough because the teams can deploy either on their jeeps or dismounted as either weapon teams or rifle teams. The list is hard to "point out" because while it has plenty of automatic weapons, it lacks any heavy AT and there are only 17 infantrymen in one 5 and two 6-man squads. It's funny how the field manuals claim that the M8 can destroy any vehicle they are "likely to encounter."

The one special rule I created was to allow the jeeps to deploy from jump-off points if they can deploy totally out of LOS of the enemy.

http://hedgehobbit.webs.com/Cavalry%20R ... latoon.pdf

Feel free to rip it to shreds. I'm gonna start on a German recon platoon for my US guys to fight.

Truscott Trotter

Re: US Cavalry Recon Platoon

Post by Truscott Trotter »

hedgehobbit wrote
"It's funny how the field manuals claim that the M8 can destroy any vehicle they are "likely to encounter."

Not really, as they have the speed to run away from anything heavier than a kuble :lol:

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

I could dip my toes in if you fancied?

Rich

PaulBaldwin

Post by PaulBaldwin »

Yes please Rich, it would be interesting to see what would be done with platoons with integral vehicles. I already have all the vehicles so it would be cool to try it on the table.

Paul

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

PaulBaldwin wrote:Yes please Rich, it would be interesting to see what would be done with platoons with integral vehicles. I already have all the vehicles so it would be cool to try it on the table.
I'm curious what you thought the Force Rating would be on my list.

Anyway, after I finished the US recon platoon, I started researching the German one and, turns out, they never had a combined infantry/vehicle platoon like the US and Britain did. I'm not sure what they can fight.

whoa mohamed

Post by whoa mohamed »

The germans in early war had several companies of MC infantry so a platoon of MC infantry would be the basis of my list.I would be using the 4 wheel series as my primary support with the companies support troop of door knockers and infantry guns (7.5 cm lights)on higher suport lists id look for the 6 or early 8 wheel heavy ACs. Im doing a list on a late war Pz AA BN.
Which has a SDKFZ 250/1 with Plt Ldr pistol or MP ,Senior sgt with MP a rifleman/batman/orderly with rifle and a Medical orderly with pistol. The driver and co driver/RTO with MP and 3 Sections of 8 men or 2 LMG groups and 6 More SDKFZ 250/1 each with 2 crew armed with MP. The support lists have the 4 wheel Sdkfz 222,8 wheel 232,234/1,234/3,234/2 in the mid support lists the 250/7 Lt 75mm in the lower lists and Pz pioneer section and Sdkfz 251/7,2 HMG team in Sdkfz 251 on the higher lists. ......Mikey

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Hedgehobbit, I'll have a look tomorrow. I've got a crown being fitted at 0900, but I will try and do it before then.

Crown on my tooth that is, not my head!

Rich

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

whoa mohamed wrote:The germans in early war had several companies of MC infantry so a platoon of MC infantry would be the basis of my list.I would be using the 4 wheel series as my primary support with the companies support troop of door knockers and infantry guns (7.5 cm lights)on higher suport lists id look for the 6 or early 8 wheel heavy ACs. Im doing a list on a late war Pz AA BN.
By MC, do you mean motorcycles?

I'd like to do an alternate list for the earlier cavalry platoon which used white scout cars instead of M8 armored cars. That one would be closer to an all infantry force. However, I don't really have to good TO&E that I can trust. I'll have to do some digging.
Richard wrote:Hedgehobbit, I'll have a look tomorrow. I've got a crown being fitted at 0900, but I will try and do it before then.
There's no hurry. I made the list for my own use. I just thought I'd post it in case anyone else was interested.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Okay. Crunched the numbers. What you essentially have there is a tiny force of three scout squads, each with a leader, a two man LMG team and a three man mortar team. I would make the Sergeant in Scout Squad One a Senior Leader. This force would come in with a -7 rating, but has three jeeps,so three at List 1. A -4 in all. .

Now you add the standard support options of the M8 armoured cars. They come with two junior leaders and a third leader upgraded to senior leader as you have taken three vehicles, a platoon. I would downgrade the Staff Sergeant to Junior Leader as he will naturally defer to the Lieutenant. Although if the Lieutenant gets killed I will allow the Staff Sergeant to activate on 3 or 4 to reflect his assuming command.

The three M8 are simple, just three at list 5. That gives us 15, less the -4 for the Scouts platoon. That is a +11 force in total.

As you can see, what I have done is break the force down into a core infantry force and then add the supports in.

Hope that all makes sense.

Rich

Peabody

Post by Peabody »

Hobbit, you certainly were close at +10!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! Blog thingy.