How many passengers allowed for vehicles in COC?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

DanniLee1

How many passengers allowed for vehicles in COC?

Post by DanniLee1 »

Hi-I have been going through the COC rules, but I cant find the section where it says how many passengers can ride in or on what type of vehicle.For example how men could ride in a Bren Carrier, or on top of a tank or in a jeep or be carried in a German or US half-track. Also, does anyone know what truck stats are as well? Any answers would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Archdukek

Re: How many passengers allowed for vehicles in COC?

Post by Archdukek »

Danni,
It doesn't say in the rules because it is assumed that each vehicle has the same capacity to carry passengers as its historic counterpart. You just need to do a little research online to find the details for whichever vehicle you want to use.

As a rule of thumb a Bren Carrier usually carried 3-4 men, as could a jeep; a half track can accommodate a section or squad of 8-10 men, while a truck can vary in size but could carry up to an entire platoon. In the case of a Soviet Tank Rider platoon I suggest you assume that a single 7 man squad can be carried on a T34.

What additional stats for a truck are you looking for? They are simply treated as soft skinned wheeled vehicles. As it says in section 11.1.1 most transport vehicles will be left off table at the typical ranges of a combat in CoC unless you are wanting to play an ambush on a convoy.

Hope this helps,
John

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

Archdukek wrote:As a rule of thumb a Bren Carrier usually carried 3-4 men
But they could carry a few more than that.

All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Seret

Post by Seret »

As mentioned above, they carry as many men as the real vehicle could carry. But to answer some of your specifics.
DanniLee1 wrote:how men could ride in a Bren Carrier
These had a crew of either 3 or 4 men, depending on when it was during the war and what unit they were part of.
or on top of a tank
I'd suggest one squad would be a sensible amount. It would be unusual to either split up or mix squads when expecting to go into action.
or in a jeep
Generally four seats, so about that many.
or be carried in a German or US half-track.
A half track was a transport for a single squad.
Also, does anyone know what truck stats are as well?
As mentioned, no stats required. It's a wheeled soft-skin.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Indeed Derek, a bit like organising Deep Fried Lard eh! You never know how many you have to squeeze in until the day. :D

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I find the wikipedia section on each vehicle has a list to the right side of the screen for the capacity for most vehicles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Carrier

John

DanniLee1

Post by DanniLee1 »

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. I will just go with Trucks as being fast, wheeled transport with 0 armor for the odd times I want to do a Panzerblitz style raid on a truck convoy.

Seret

Post by Seret »

DanniLee1 wrote:Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. I will just go with Trucks as being fast, wheeled transport with 0 armor for the odd times I want to do a Panzerblitz style raid on a truck convoy.
Wheeled vehicles don't use the slow/average/fast speeds. Have a read of section 11.6, they basically move the same speed as a "slow" tracked vehicle, except on roads where they move double speed. They also get to move on the phase they deploy.

When shooting at softskins you just shoot at the occupants and they count as being in light cover. If you roll two or more 6s you also roll on the softskin damage table.

Chappuis

Post by Chappuis »

i think can accommodate a section or squad of 8-10 men

Gclub Download

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

As a rule of thumb vehicles in List 1 can carry a team, while vehicles in List 2 can carry a section plus. As in the case of the carriers shown in this thread though, I don't think there is a need to specify to the man what a vehicle can or can't carry when needs must; it's common sense that a Jeep wouldn't realistically be expected to carry a squad.

Tactical transport (as opposed to general transport) is generally designed to carry what it is meant to carry in any given army, rather than units being shaped to fit a vehicle. So a Jeep (e.g. 1/2 ton) is designed to carry a scout team or a light weapon team (and possibly tow a trailer), a weapons carrier (e.g. 3/4 ton) carries a single support crew (with the weapon carried, towed, or in a trailer) and something larger (e.g. 1.5 ton) is designed to carry a section, be it of infantry or one or two heavier support weapon teams.

General transport ( e.g. 2.5 & 5 ton) works differently and was not designed to carry men into battle, so something like a 2.5 truck might carry an infantry section and a half, with two vehicles for a platoon. Useful for taxiing men about in the rear areas, but causes problems if they have to de-bus under fire if one section is split across two vehicles anything up to 50 yards apart.

Tanks are a little problematic, as on some of them you couldn't sit on the engine deck (it got too hot), or grab rails weren't fitted (but sometimes these were added in the field) and so on. A single squad on a medium or heavy tank seems about right and I even recall seeing a seating plan for a U.S. Squad on an Easy 8 Sherman, although it was a Post-WWII nine man squad, rather than the twelve of a WWII one.