AT gun movement restrictions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: AT gun movement restrictions

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I have never seen a gun moved in CoC let alone over an obstacle I doubt it would be a wise move to doitin real life with the enemy 100yds or less away.

Seret

Post by Seret »

I don't think I've ever moved one either. Generally if you know you're bringing a gun as a support you position one of your JOPs to give it the right field of fire.

Not saying you'll never do it, just that it's rare to do more than pivot. You typically only deploy an AT gun once the target is already on table, so it tends to just turn up and keep shooting until the target dies.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

JimLeCat wrote: So, the 2pdr (which has no wheels when set up, remember!), is nearly as heavy as a Pak38, while the Zis-3 is not only lighter than a 6pdr, but lighter than the Zis-2 as well!
The 'travel' weight of the ZiS-3 is usually given as 1850kg (or higher in some sources), although why that is I couldn't say. It does however make for a more convenient categorisation of 'light', 'medium' and 'heavy'.

The 2pdr was indeed heavy for a 40mm weapon and with either carriage model it required the wheels to be lowered/attached; but it did have a more rapid (360°) traverse than anything that wasn't an AA Gun. Readying the weapon for movement didn't take long, but in CoC terms might actually turn out to be more a 'move' action than a 'phase' one and would then require the same time to set-up again.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Would travel weight include limbers etc? Where's Trailape when you need him eh?

powermonger

Post by powermonger »

My initial question was because a BEF 2 pounder was deployed behind a hedge with very limited visibility.
My opponent just wanted to take a shot at my PzIV, and that position was the only one with LOS at the moment.
I could not find the rule at the time, so i asked here. Now the rule is very clear. A 2 pounder is a light gun, so, can move 2D6. And can cross a hedge.
But very interesting comments about the specific capabilities & limitations on the 2pdr.
I would try some of your recommendations about the specific gun (360 traverse and movement limitations)

Truscott Trotter

Yes the 2pdr may be 'light' compared with other guns but it is also deployed without wheels so I would not like to try and lift it even with help!

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Truscott Trotter wrote:Yes the 2pdr may be 'light' compared with other guns but it is also deployed without wheels so I would not like to try and lift it even with help!

At 814 kg (1,795 lb), without wheels, I'd call that static/immovable for the time scale of CoC. Moving 2d6s inches? Out of the question.

Truscott Trotter

Not entirely out of the question. .......

.......it will move 2D6 when hit by a German 75mm HE shell! :twisted:

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Aye, that would be BTH worthy.

BLabrum^

Post by BLabrum^ »

Is a wheeled gun (field gun, anti-tank gun, etc..) allowed to move in heavy going (i.e. is it a wheeled vehicle?)? Seems a bit daft to have it move as well as infantry where wheeled vehicles cannot go and tracked vehicles may be immobilized?