Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Fallschirmjager "creating new teams "

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Absolutely certainly possibly well maybe

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

... and if it does, will the Force Rating change due to the exchange of crewman for rifleman in each team?

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

I guess it would have to.
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Arlequín wrote:... and if it does, will the Force Rating change due to the exchange of crewman for rifleman in each team?
Doubt it, you are only losing 1 D6 to your fire power in each section, but you could run it through the CoCulator to see. It would only make a dffetence of 1 in the Force Rating at most which won't make much odds in a game.

John

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Magpie wrote:I has been mentioned on these forums by Rich that the German MG teams should be 3 men, whether that is official or not I guess is up to you.
Indeed, it's your choice.

What Rich said was that further research into the relevant German manuals after CoC was published confirmed that the third man was more than an ammo bearer and had an active part to play in keeping the MG operating efficiently and therefore should not be available to add his rifle fire to the team's output as was previously the case. All the Early War German lists now have 3 crew for the LMG.

What Seret has pointed out is that from 1943 the German squad organisation changed to drop the third man from the LMG team so you could justify using the 2 man team later in the War. If you do what you will find in my experience is that the MG team becomes quite fragile. It's easy to lose 1 man and thus reduce the output of the LMG from 8 dice to 6. I find that it is generally better to operate with a 3 man LMG crew whenever you can.

John

Seret

Post by Seret »

Archdukek wrote: What Seret has pointed out is that from 1943 the German squad organisation changed to drop the third man from the LMG team
Indeed, and I'd like to know which manual it was that Rich used in his research. If as I suspect it was the one for the gun then it actually wasn't updated post-43. So in the late war period you'd have the situation where the manual for the gun was saying one thing, but the KStNs and actual practice was saying something else

Ultimately I don't think it's a big deal, though. 3-man crew, 2-man crew, whatever. You're only talking one dice difference.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

Raising a semi-related issue.... I'm starting to assemble an FJ force and am at a loss at how the FG42 and StG44 fit in. If each team has one rifleman, would giving them all FG42's make the platoon too potent? Replace the MP's with StG's? Or ignore the fancy weaponry? TIA

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Groupe_Franc wrote:Raising a semi-related issue.... I'm starting to assemble an FJ force and am at a loss at how the FG42 and StG44 fit in. If each team has one rifleman, would giving them all FG42's make the platoon too potent? Replace the MP's with StG's? Or ignore the fancy weaponry? TIA
Best thing to do is some research and find an instance were you get an idea of the scale of issue. Giving everyone AR's isn't going to make them too potent.

So good info here for the FG42

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=35162
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

Keithandor

Post by Keithandor »

I'm happy to play it either way , as you say there is little difference in the one extra shot from the rifle.
There is no mention of the FG42 in the list ?
My force is based on the Fallschirmjager at Cassino , I also have plenty of later war guys.
The FG42 was used and performed well at Cassino. The Fallschirmjager really liked the FG42 and some would keep them serviceable as long as possible as they were such a good weapon.
But no mention of the FG42 in the Fallschirmjager platoon ?
I'm just wondering if there's a clarification/errata that I've missed.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

A swap of a crewman for a rifleman isn't a big deal to some of us, but not all of us. Six over the platoon has the potential to make a difference of '1' to the Force Rating, which on its own is okay, but it might be enough to make the difference between adding a MMG or something, or not.

Personally I think having the extra crewman offers an advantage that matches the extra FP dice you gain for swapping him out, which is not reflected in the CoCulator... it's one more casualty to be inflicted before the MG loses dice.

So all things being equal having an extra crewman or an extra rifleman balances out to me... sort of. However everyone doesn't think like that and the FR should be corrected accordingly for everyone's benefit and inner calm.