So who's up for a Malta / Hercules List?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

PatG

So who's up for a Malta / Hercules List?

Post by PatG »

Having just returned from two weeks on that sunny isle with a suitcase full of books, I will be putting together a list for the King's Own Malta Regiment and likely other German and Italian lists / tweaks for the proposed invasion.

I have some ideas, but since it is unlikely I will get back to Malta in the near future, I would greatly appreciate criticism from interested Lard fans.

poiter50

Re: So who's up for a Malta / Hercules List?

Post by poiter50 »

Post it and we shall see.

Captain Bigglesworth

Post by Captain Bigglesworth »

For what it's worth always happy to read and comment

PatG

Post by PatG »

So I was running on far too little sleep for the initial post....

Please allow me to clarify: I will be making up a Malta list concentrating on the King's Own Malta Regiment with perhaps a bit on the Malta Gunners and British units on the island. I may also touch on the Italian Folgore and other units earmarked for operation Hercules if they have not already been covered elsewhere.

I wanted to:
1) gauge interest and see if anyone else had done any work on the subject, and

2) given that I have had only a short contact with the island, ask for help from those who know Malta better to validate my ideas especially about terrain.

Thanks.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

I was involved in running a HUGE Operation Hercules wargame (map kriegsspiel) for the Imperial War Museum with Paddy Griffith. Unfortunately Paddy died during the prep phase, so a small team of us carried on and completed the project. Part of that was a detailed study of the ground and the troops involved.

The Royal Malta Regiment was pretty much the standard of a British Home Guard unit. It had never deployed as a battalion, even individual platoons didn't have much contact with other platoons in the same company, and much of their role focussed on manning exiting fortifications on the Victoria lines and at nodal communication points. Their capacity for taking the offensive was almost zero, so they would be expected to stand and die where they were.

Germans and Italians were high quality troops such as those at Crete.

Rich

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

This resource was posted to the Yahoo group:
http://estalia.crearforos.net/t3034-lis ... of-command

It includes 1942 lists for the fallschirmjagers and for Folgore. That would be a strong start for the Axis. A member of the Facebook CoC group posted his version of an FJ list for Crete which is notable for including the recoilless and taper-bore ordnance.
(Yes, my next project will be FJ's)

PatG

Post by PatG »

Home Guard you say Rich? Sounds right up my alley. ;) From my initial reading there are some tasty bits of chrome like extended range Vickers and the possibility for supporting fires from AA positions. Just looking at the ground shows massive sighting ranges especially from the Victoria lines but then every single tiny field is surrounded by a stone wall and every farmer has a stone hut that would count as hard cover. Then there are the prepared defences dating back to before the knights, the stone terraced houses and even the churches with their spires dominating the surrounding parish. It's an interesting bit of terrain. And then there are the Maltese housewives....

Mercis biens Franc

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

And remember that you should never - ever - make the Maltese cross!