Future of CoC ?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Magpie

Re: Future of CoC ?

Post by Magpie »

Len Tracey wrote:G'day Magpie,
I couldn't agree more that the tournament focus of the BA rules has been to its detriment. When the design imperative is that a game has to be finished in less than two hours, you're going to have problems.
I think it also cultivates the dreaded max/min and the uber unit along with a divergence from a historical experience to a number crunching and rules lawyering.

(check you PM's too mate ;) )
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

Yep, all the things I dislike in a wargame.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are my PM's? Sorry, I'm not too computer literate.
Cheers.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Len

PM = Private Messages.

Check out the top of the page and you can send/receive messages to/from other members

Cheers

Richard

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

G'day Richard,
Thanks for that; I'll get onto that.
Cheers.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Magpie,
As well as the Pint size Campaigns, I thoroughly recommend At the Sharp End which gives you an easy to use campaign system with which you can follow the exploits of your favourite platoon through a series of linked games of your own devising. We used it to run a winter 1941 narrative campaign at the start of the year which gave a background context to a series of 8 games we played. Easy to use and Great fun!
John

gsymko

Post by gsymko »

Hey Rich,

Just the other day 4 of us played a CoC platoon level Arras game. Never have I played a better, more intense and interesting game. The best rules by far.

Best and thanks for your brilliance!!

Greg S from across the pond

Necrosauron

Post by Necrosauron »

At the risk of sounding like another BA critic, a great on-line store deal got my 21 yr old son & me into 28mm gaming using BA rules & WG miniatures. We’d previously played 1/72 & 1/300 using ‘PanzerMarsch’ & WGRG rules so were fairly despondent at the BA rule set’s lack of realism & WH40K feel & after 3 games were ready to pack it in.

I decided to search the net for alternatives and came across COC & we’ve not looked back. 10 games in two months and have enjoyed every minute. We’re looking forward to starting the Ops Epsom “Scottish Corridor” mini campaign next.

Thanks Richard – I was almost ready to bin the figurines & go back to my old AH board games until COC refueled my interest in table-top gaming.

changl09

Post by changl09 »

I couldn't agree more that the tournament focus of the BA rules has been to its detriment. When the design imperative is that a game has to be finished in less than two hours, you're going to have problems.
It didn't destroy Warmahorde, it fact it actually made that game stronger (being able to finish a game under 2hrs was the straw that broke a lot of 40k players over to P3 camps).
I think there is nothing wrong with a time limit when you are playing any game as long as it's what you and your opponent agreed to play beforehand.

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

changl09 wrote:
It didn't destroy Warmahorde, it fact it actually made that game stronger (being able to finish a game under 2hrs was the straw that broke a lot of 40k players over to P3 camps).
I think there is nothing wrong with a time limit when you are playing any game as long as it's what you and your opponent agreed to play beforehand.
Len isn't really talking about the time limit on a game per se, but rather that a format that requires a result in a restricted timeframe tends to send a game down a particular path.

In the case of 40k, BA and the other games that are of a similar ilk it shifts the focus to high casualty blast fests as a brightly burning demise is what is needed, over the pensive nuance of games like CoC which is more along the lines of traditional tabletop games where in they are aimed more at being a fun afternoon with friends, as opposed to a rapid series of willy contests.
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I cannot speak to GW games not having played any but I can speak to BA
BA's major issue (amongst many) is that it has no force moral. Your force fights to the last man - or medic :) usually so it necessitates you blasting apart the enemy as quickly as possible as games have a strict turn limit of 6/7 turns....subtle it ain't but it obviously appeals to some aspects of gaming otherwise it would not be so popular (ducks behind electronic parapet)