Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Shock and leaders

Post by Truscott Trotter »

You get a gold star and a sweet Steve

Seret

Post by Seret »

MLB wrote:In other words does the attached JL count twice to prevent both teams pinning?
It's a pretty unusual situation, but I'd just allow it and get on with the game. He's definitely attached to both, because he's within 4". The example on p18 is a senior leader who's not attached to the teams, so doesn't apply here.

Personally I don't have a problem with the JL being the link that maintains cohesion within a section, as long as people aren't using it in a silly way. Normally the only time your rifles and gun team move more than 4" apart is when you've done so specifically. I find it doesn't really come up in the games we play.

PatG

Post by PatG »

Trying to nail down all the what ifs and edge cases is what results in Barkerese.

gsymko

Post by gsymko »

Ok one question that I've been thinking about. If a SL is attached to a section does he then counts as another figure for determining pin status?

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Yes. It's in section 14.5.

Cheers,
Jim

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

SteveBurt wrote:But I now see I'm wrong - it says on page 21 that if he's within 4" he is attached - so in the original situation he's attached to both teams. But they don't form a section as they are too far apart.
The leader isn't part of either team, so he doesn't join them together.
He also doesn't count as a member of either team for the purposes of computing excess shock.
Look at the example on page 62.
So in the original example both teams would be pinned as both have excess shock.
Steve,
The rule about counting Leaders when determining if a unit is pinned is clearly stated in section 14.5 on page 63. The example on page 62 says nothing about this, it simply illustrates the point that two teams within 4" of each other can support each other by "sharing" the impact of any shock on them.

In the OP the Bren team is not pinned because the JL is attached.

John

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

The leader can't me a member of both teams. He is part of one or the other, or neither.
In this situation, I'd say he's part of neither

Seret

Post by Seret »

SteveBurt wrote:The leader can't me a member of both teams.
Actually he can. Check 4.5.8 on p21.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Again, if you treat the JL as a member of the unit (specifically in this case for purposes of squad integrity), this problem goes away.