Gebirgsjäger Platoon TO&E?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

siggian

Re: Gebirgsjäger Platoon TO&E?

Post by siggian »

Early war, I could see going with elite with just 5D6 to reflect the additional training and esprit de corps. But generally they would be normal troops with the normal 5D6 command.

Maybe you could do something in the patrol phase to represent their mountain training. Give them additional 3" deployment range from a JOP that is on or behind a hill or something like that.

gsymko

Post by gsymko »

I like it

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

3" deployment range from a JOP that is on or behind a Mountain or something like that.

:lol: 8-)

Seret

Post by Seret »

gsymko wrote:Maybe terrain abilities not sure.
I'd say no. Their skills and equipment gave them strategic mobility in the mountains, not tactical.

Truscott Trotter

Their skills and equipment gave them strategic mobility in the mountains, not tactical.

If using ropes to climb cliffs or mountains is not tactical I dunno what is
However I have never seen anyone play on mountain terrain in any scale or rule set even though in some like FOW there were rules for mountaineers....but there is always a first time

lilljonas

Post by lilljonas »

I'm using the same platoon structure but with an added anti-tank rifle team for my 1941 east front Gebirgsjäger forces. I've rated them as normal, but I think the "elite but with 5 dice" version of elite, as an inbetween level, would work fine as well.

We added a special rule where I roll 2 dice and get a free patrol marker move for each 4+, to represent their terrain abilities, light equipment and extra training gives them an edge for getting up and close. They were often deployed to assault fortified positions and urban areas, so it's a kind of very light infiltration rule for such occasions.

This far they tend to get kicked around, as they are very expensive (+4) and the extra support option on the opponents side is often enough to tip the scales. But at the same time they are quite resilent, and I've gotten more draws out of them than outright losses.

gsymko

Post by gsymko »

I like that as well

Truscott Trotter

Tis worth play testing such a rule - I like its simplicity question is does it give the flavour whilst being balanced?

lilljonas

Post by lilljonas »

It's really not a strong special rule: on average, you get to move one of your patrol markers once before the proper patrol phase. It makes them a tiny bit different from the normal rifle platoon, but I don't feel like it has affected any of our games really.

The big difference is with the obligatory Pz.B 39 and mortar team, which I've found to be a big liability. They beef up the cost of the platoon, while rarely playing a big role. Usually I simply end up not deploying the AT rifle, as the opponent either doesn't field vehicles (which makes it a big fat potential morale loss), or they field vehicles that are heavy enough to not be scared by it. On the other hand, if your opponent do end up deploying an armoured car or something, you have a tool to try to deal with it.

The extra deployment rule is hardly enough to counter that lack of flexibility, especially if you try to keep them as a mostly light infantry, and don't support them with Panzer IVs and such. I find them to be flavourful (enough that I'm converting a platoon) but probably weaker than the "vanilla" rifle platoon.

Truscott Trotter

So how come they are at +4 is it the elite status?