Tanks reversing off the battlefield

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

CarcosanDawn

Tanks reversing off the battlefield

Post by CarcosanDawn »

When a tank is driven off of the battlefield (but not destroyed), what are the consequences for BTH?

Locally, we've played it as no consequences - the platoon saw the tank arrive, saw it take a hit, and saw it retire - but it was still obviously functional (no fires, no crew bailing out) so they may be disappointed, but not roll-on-BTH disappointed.

That said, a good argument could be made for Leader (of whatever grade) Routs (given that the tank is "routed" off the board ... kinda) or Support Unit Killed (given that it is a support unit, and no longer present).

How do you all play this?
Archdukek

Re: Tanks reversing off the battlefield

Post by Archdukek »

If you search on here you will find a variety of responses to this question including from the author.

Basically in the definition of Rout in the Glossary on page 9 it says that any unit which is forced to leave the table during play is considered to have Routed. That is irrespective of its condition. So you should test on the BTH table for a “Support Unit Rout” but not for the loss of any Leader in it.

However, that begs the question as to how far off table it has to go to count as having been forced to leave the table. Would having the rear end 1” off table while most of the vehicle is on table count for this? The rules are silent on this point.

Personally I only count it as lost to the game if the whole vehicle leaves the table. Others prefer to halt it at the table edge while some remove it if any part goes over the edge but let it deploy again later. So take your pick! ;)

John
CarcosanDawn

Post by CarcosanDawn »

Oh? I thought they just left the battlefield if any part of them brushed over the edge. It didn't even occur to me that it could be otherwise!
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

CarcosanDawn wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:11 pm Oh? I thought they just left the battlefield if any part of them brushed over the edge. It didn't even occur to me that it could be otherwise!
That was initially my assumption too and is still what I would do with an infantry unit. However, the debate around what it meant for vehicles which had just deployed 6” or less onto the table at a road entry being forced to withdraw 1D6” when dicing on the Equal Hits and Saves table caused me to introduce the house rule. As has been argued by others losing the vehicle completely in those circumstances seems harsh.

John
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

As I don't want to risk my tanks hanging over the table edge I would prefer if a house rule was made it was to stop at the table edge, perhaps with +1 shock.
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I personally would remove it, no BTH, and allow it back on, but only near where it left.

It's cost the tanker a command dice, which seems fair
Truscott Trotter

I believe that is a bit advantage to the tank and doesn't really cost you a dice unless you not allow it to move and fire that turn?

But the worse thing is the tank suddenly get e cloak if invisibility while you deal with the AT threat then bring it back.

Or are you intending to force the players to spend a 3 if he can on bringing the tank straight back?

Also how near is near?
What if there is cover close by the tank didn't use first time now it can?

Nah unless you want to write a few more rule paragraphs I am no convinced.
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I was intending to force them to use up a die to come back on, and within 6" of where he went off. Your point about invisibility is well made though. Probably with no firing first turn of return.

But the 3 to return immediately if possible is actually a better idea, which I like.
Truscott Trotter

Yeah not saying it can't be done but it does require some thought
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I am not sure why this is a big deal, Rich has clearly said that the tank does not disappear. If at the edge of the table we treat it like the reverse gear is blown (if such a thing exists). It just stays there, takes the shock and can be activated the next turn.

I suppose you could take an extra shock as TT suggests or be barred from activation in the next phase only but I would not be keen to make it more complicated than that.