Question on hits on leaders

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

zoldar

Question on hits on leaders

Post by zoldar »

Hi I have a question on leaders getting hit. Triggered by a Lets play video I saw on youtube.

When a senior leader is standing within 4" from section A and B (basically standing in between).
1. Do you have to roll for hits on the leader when either of the sections take casualties?
2. What happens when one of the sections breaks?
Archdukek

Re: Question on hits on leaders

Post by Archdukek »

zoldar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:43 am Hi I have a question on leaders getting hit. Triggered by a Lets play video I saw on youtube.

When a senior leader is standing within 4" from section A and B (basically standing in between).
1. Do you have to roll for hits on the leader when either of the sections take casualties?
2. What happens when one of the sections breaks?
Hi zoldar,
1. The SL counts as being attached to both sections in that case so will have to test for being hit if either section gets a kill result.
2. Player’s choice whether the SL remains with the unbroken section or whether he retires with the broken section in the hope of rallying Shock off it later.

John
zoldar

Post by zoldar »

Hi John,

Thanks for the answer. I guess that if the junior leader attached to section A is within 4" of section B, You don't need to roll for hits on leader when section B takes casualties?

Martin
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

zoldar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 pm Hi John,

Thanks for the answer. I guess that if the junior leader attached to section A is within 4" of section B, You don't need to roll for hits on leader when section B takes casualties?

Martin
Hi Martin,
Strictly speaking yes you do. If you read section 9.1.1 it simply refers to “any Leader or FO being within 4” of a Section or Team which loses men killed.” So it makes no distinction about whether the Leader commands the men affected. You need to watch where you place your Leaders.

In practice I suspect a lot of players only take account of any kills on the JL’s own section or any weapons team which might be operating alongside it.

John
zoldar

Post by zoldar »

Thanks again. Seems logical.

When reading the 2017 FAQ on this site just now I stumbled on this question and answer:
Q: When I place my Junior Leader with his squad, is he attached to both teams or just one of them?
A: If both Teams are within 4” of each other and he is with either one team, then he counts as being
attached to the whole squad which allows him to influence both Teams by rallying, controlling fire
with National Characteristics and so on. However, when you place him on the table remember that
he is better off being with one Team or the other so that when they take casualties he only rolls when
that Team lose men dead.
This doesn’t mean he’s not attached to the whole squad, he is because the
two Teams are operating as a single Unit, it just keeps him safer if you put some thought into where
he is actually standing.
I didn't know you only roll for the hits on a team when the JL is with a team. In one of the Lets Play Video's on youtube I saw Richard doing just this (only roll for the hits on 1 team of a section), but in all the other Lets Play video's I watched all the hits on the section where taken into account. The rule as described in the FAQ seems a bit odd and invites players to do very carefull positioning of the team and the JL. Teams 3,9" from each other and the JL more then 4" from the other team.
Slynx

Post by Slynx »

Right or wrong ... we always play it as total kills against the Squad rather then a single team. If not then hits on a leader would be rarer then they are now (now seems about right).
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Martin,
To my mind if the JL counts as being attached to the section for the purpose of Command then he is also attached to it for the purposes of section 9.1.1 which refers to being within 4” of either a Section or Team. Otherwise you end up micromanaging the JL’s placement.

However, be that as it may, if you follow the FAQ approach the downside of positioning the JL so that he is only 4” from one Team in a section and not attached to the other is that he cannot rally Shock off that second team if it is within Line of Sight of the enemy. See 4.5.3. So if the JL is to be able to carry out one of his key functions he really needs to be attached to both teams.

Also if the Teams are themselves more than 4” away from each other then they cease to be a section and need to be activated as individual Teams.

John
zoldar

Post by zoldar »

Hi john and slynx.

As you say. Better to ignore the faq here because of the micromanagement. And play it like I always did.

Martin