Grenade Smoke

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

BLabrum^

Grenade Smoke

Post by BLabrum^ »

While Smoke is often tactically deployed to facilitate maneuver (e.g. withdrawal, re-positioning or an advance) I find, in CoC games, smoke is more often used to preserve a unit in a static state (e.g. to reduce incoming fire - period.); I wonder if other players have had that experience and whether the often seemingly long game turn duration (I realize a turn is somewhat amorphous in CoC, while a phase is described as just a few seconds) of such smoke is contributing to this behaviour? While smoke duration relative to the timing of phases seems in alignment, there does not seem to be any player urgency to maneuver while smoke is deployed. Is the perceived issue a non-issue (i.e. a problem with perception - the whole game is the maneuver) or is the phenomena a symptom of another game mechanic (e.g. shock affecting movement while withdrawing or too many available grenades)?
Allan JD

Re: Grenade Smoke

Post by Allan JD »

Never been a problem in any of my games either as a player or umpire.
A Junior Leader can order two smoke grenades to be used during a game and a Senior Leader three.
Smoke grenades do not completely block line of sight but give a -1 to hit when firing through the smoke.
I have only ever seen them used by troops on their own position when they plan to run away.
7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

In our games we've had situations where one side throws smoke down a side street to make it harder for the MG there to shoot while the men are charging over the street into close combat with another unit.

But overall the most use of smoke is when you're being targeted by that terrible machinegun and just trying to survive the next phase. I suspect some of that is a rules feature... in real life if you had an entrenchement you could just lie low, out of sight in it, while the MG was shooting at you. But in CoC you cannot do that so smoke is used to compensate for that.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

The last two posts describe probably the two most common historical uses of smoke grenades 😃