Consolidated Arsenal and CoCulator

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Allan JD

Consolidated Arsenal and CoCulator

Post by Allan JD »

We played out first Chain of Command game in 17 months at the Colchester club on Friday evening. It felt good to be back playing face to face but also a bit odd. Games ‘rust’ was certainly an issue.

I set up the scenario, attack on an objective (villa building), placed the terrain and umpired the game. A British infantry platoon attacked while German grenadiers defended. The British attack ran out of time, as our play was a bit pedestrian, but the game was enjoyable.

However, a problem came up when the Cromwell tank wanted to fire an HE shell. Out came the relevant page of the Consolidated Arsenal and gave us an HE value of 4! I knew that could not be right for the 75mm gun but we played it that way. Can this be correct?

Problem seems to be that the CA we are using is perhaps out of date. It also seems that we have access to various different versions of the CoCulator.

I would be grateful for a steer in the direction of both the current Consolidated Arsenal and CoCulator.
HaberDasher

Re: Consolidated Arsenal and CoCulator

Post by HaberDasher »

It seems the CA Cromwell is equipped with a regular 6 pdr anti tank (AP7 HE4), not the later bored out 75mm version of the 6 pdr which used the same ammunition as the the gun on the Grant/Lee/Sherman (which have AP7 HE6), at least from what I can read on wikipedia (I know it is not the fountain of all knowledge but is what have time to dig out today)
Allan JD

Post by Allan JD »

HaberDasher
I believe you are correct in that these are the figures for the 6 pounder gun.
The problem of course is that the Cromwell - A27M (Cruiser Tank Mk VIII) is armed with the Ordnance QF 75 mm.
I downloaded a (replacement/new?) copy of the Consolidated Arsenal in March this of this year. This is clearly not correct and I wonder what other older information is included.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

What is its listing in the rulebook?
Allan JD

Post by Allan JD »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:05 am What is its listing in the rulebook?
AP 7, HE 6.
Truscott Trotter

That sounds like the 75mm version go with that
Allan JD

Post by Allan JD »

TT,

Problem is that I am (nearly) certain that my previous version of the Consolidated Arsenal listed the Cromwell HE as 6. The newer file? downloaded has it incorrect. I wonder what else might be wrong and I now don't have the older version to compare it against.
Truscott Trotter

Oooops 😉