Tank Fire Twice in Phase

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

donglewwe

Tank Fire Twice in Phase

Post by donglewwe »

Another armor question...

Situation = German AT gun deploys in garden corner and fires at Sherman on road, triggering overwatch return fire. Next, a MkIV moves from cover and fires on the same tank. The U.S. player (Big CoC armor platoon cmdr) has a CoC die and wants to interrupt/fire at the MkIV before it gets off a shot.
Who fires first?
I think RAW would give the Sherman the interrupt, but the fact that that would mean firing twice in succession in the same (German) phase doesn't sit well. I can see it going either way, but lean a bit towards the Germans' case. Opinions?
Archdukek

Re: Tank Fire Twice in Phase

Post by Archdukek »

It’s an unusual set of circumstances but the rules as written would allow the Sherman to fire on Interrupt. A unit simply has to be on the table and not pinned to be eligible to Interrupt.
Spending a CoC Dice is a major investment of command effort on the US player’s part.

I’d rationalise it as the Overwatch fire being a snap shot at the AT gun while the CoC expenditure has allowed a quick reload and aim at the Panzer IV whilst it’s moving into position. Although of necessity we have to work things out sequentially in reality much of the actions are overlapping.

John
HaberDasher

Post by HaberDasher »

Spending a CoC dice is a major investement.

RaW, the Sherman is not being activated and would there for not have a restriction on firing.
donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

The Sherman got the first shot but missed. The MkIV fire was inconclusive (0 net hits), but the German interrupt in the following American phase scored 4 net hits and 'boom' went the Sherman.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Seems fair and correct rules wise.to me.
Sounds like an exciting tank duel.
oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

I would be feeling SO Smug if I was the Cherman player here!

It would take a considerable effort to retain anything remotely resembling a poker face.
Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

They've covered your rules question, but I must say, lovely long table there! It really feels expansive.
donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

Levi the Ox wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:25 am ...lovely long table there! It really feels expansive.
Thanks. Two factors critical to the table impact:
1) An extra foot to the standard length (7 instead of 6) and 1.5 to the width (as far as I can reach!) means over half again the square footage available. Of course, much of the action in the game will occur on the usual critical small area(s), but I enjoy the options having a large table presents to deployment/tactics -the Patrol Phase can be quite the challenge!

2) Using figures/terrain that match the ground scale. This allows for not only more space between features (ie: bigger fields to cross) but also more interesting features themselves (such as the smithy, a farmstead, or town area) that would (if occupying the same footprint) be represented by only a single model (or worse: multiple models taking up too much table space).

Both factors go a long way in reducing for players what I term 'translation' between the information that is seen on the tabletop and the information it represents that is needed to make relevant decisions.
Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

donglewwe wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:30 am Both factors go a long way in reducing for players what I term 'translation' between the information that is seen on the tabletop and the information it represents that is needed to make relevant decisions.
Agreed completely. What scale minis are you using? 10-12mm? I've mostly played in 15mm, that looks a little smaller.
donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

What scale minis are you using?
They are 15mm - BF and Peter Pig infantry, mixed bag of 'I can't remember' for the vehicles.