Clarifications.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Darkman

Clarifications.

Post by Darkman »

Hi all, first post and a couple of questions. I appreciate that these may have been asked before but a search turned up a serious number of answers.
1, In a support choice, when it says 5 crew and a junior leader is that 5 crew plus a junior leader or is one of the 5 crew the junior leader? I ask because there are different views on YouTube videos I have watched.

2, What are the deployment restrictions on an off table Machine gun.

3, An off table mortar FO has his first activation to call in mortars, before he has his second activation the turn ends. Do we have to see if the mortars are available for the next turn or because they haven't fired he is allowed to start again. Also does the FO have to be activated each turn to fire a barrage?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Allan JD

Re: Clarifications.

Post by Allan JD »

As we play it:-

1. It is five crew with an additional JL, so six figures in total.

2. Off table machine guns usually set by the scenario. Usually a marker is placed on a table edge and the firing comes from that location.

3. For mortars after a turn end the FO needs to check to see if the battery is still available. If they are the firing process begins again.
Once the mortar barrage is firing it falls on table every phase, but it only inflicts casualties/shock when the FO is activated.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Thanks for the replies.

The off table Machine gun only says deploy on a table edge. I have seen some people say on the edge the armour would deploy from. We considered any table edge behind the nearest jump off point. So if a jump of point was 20 inches down the right side of the table then the machine gun could be deployed up to 20 inches on the side edge.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Darkman,

The Off table Machine Gun rules in the Blitzkreig 1940 supplement refer to a marker being placed on “the table edge” which means the side which the player deploys from and is not affected by the positioning of Jump Off Points. Basically it represents the MG firing from a fixed position behind the start line.

For the FO trying to call in a mortar barrage which is interrupted by a Turn End, the author has confirmed that if the barrage has yet to land then the FO is assumed to have failed to make contact so you simply start again. If it’s the first time then you don’t need to roll to check if the battery is available.

As Allan says, once the barrage arrives it is assumed to continue every phase whether or not the FO is activated, but you only test for hits in those phases that the FO is active.

John