Who does 28mm WWII Allies in winter gear?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Capt Fortier

Who does 28mm WWII Allies in winter gear?

Post by Capt Fortier »

I've been progressively building up a good force of 28mm Germans in winter gear but have not found many examples of British or American troops in winter gear. Any recommendations? And any explanation for the (apparent) difference in availability?
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Levi the Ox

Re: Who does 28mm WWII Allies in winter gear?

Post by Levi the Ox »

I'd assume the reduced availability is because the winter uniforms are less distinctive and limited to the winter of '44-45, the mountain campaigns in Italy, and the occasional commando raid in Norway. Whereas German and Soviet troops fought through four winters in eastern europe that each saw large-scale offensives and a lot of the famous battles. More generally, winter games call for very different terrain dedicated to that environment so it's less likely to be a priority for folks.
siggian

Post by siggian »

Brits (and other Commonwealth troops) didn't star in the only "big name" winter battle in the western front so there likely isn't a high demand, or at least the figure manufactures look at it that way.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Artizan and Empress
Allan JD

Post by Allan JD »

British, Canadian, Belgian, Dutch and Polish troops were hardly idle in the winter of 44/45 on the western front.
Their equipment and dress was not that visually that very different from what they wore in spring, summer or autumn. If we look at photographs from the period, when in action, the soldiers wore normal battledress but with a jumper/jersey underneath. They often wore (partial) gloves, comforters or scarves. The greatcoat was mainly for sentry duty at night or behind the lines.
The Empress Miniatures ‘wind cheater’ smock figures are a good representation of such troops in action. If we want to imitate this look the Warlord British plastic paratroopers with head swaps are a close match.
Truscott Trotter

Oh and Brigade/Company B do Bardia Aussies in greatcoats.
And Artisan do FSSF as well as US in winter gear and Warlord have some US in Winter gear too.
Guadalcanal Diarrhea

Post by Guadalcanal Diarrhea »

Warlord Games has a pretty complete Winter U.S Infantry line and they look great.
"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit constitutes firepower..."~ Col. Merritt Edson, 1st Raider Battalion, U.S.M.C
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Thanks all for responses and thoughts. TT - I have Artizan Brits (mostly 8th Army in North Africa and Italy) and Germans and didn't think to look at their US range - d'oh! - v good coverage there!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Truscott Trotter

You might find a few useful ones in their FSSF range you can add in too, if you dont mind the baggy trousers.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I think the mix of parkas and baggy pants would add the right feel for troops in winter - from the Germans I have my sense for winter fighting is the more eclectic the uniforms the better - a cold soldier will find what they can to keep the cold at bay
Capt Fortier