Plans to add the U.S. Marines?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Will3T

Re: Plans to add the U.S. Marines?

Post by Will3T »

I normally do not like to copy other National Characteristics, however the Finnish one appears to be applicable to the USMC.

“ When a Leader is attached to Finnish Section or Team and uses two Command Initiatives he may order his men to surge forward. The Section or Team will fire with half the dice, move 1D6 inches and assume a Tactical stance, in that order.”

This coincides with doctrine I have read in “Fighting on Guadalcanal” where Marines would push forward and around enemy positions. If someone was wounded they were especially told to push forward so Corpsman could advance safely. It is a balance between Marching Fire and the Tactical piece makes sense given the jungle terrain.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Just don't turn them into supermen.
DougM

Post by DougM »

Fire, move and go tactical sounds like it would be a decent boost in ability. I would want some playtesting before that got implemented.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------
pman

Post by pman »

And also: when you are playtesting one of your ideas, it's best to be in the receiving end of the new idea.
Will3T

Post by Will3T »

pman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:11 am And also: when you are playtesting one of your ideas, it's best to be in the receiving end of the new idea.
True that! Happened just yesterday with me as the Japanese defending. The Marine player used it a few times to do some bounding and while it allows the shoot and move Tactical advantage it was tempered that you had to have a leader use all activations to do it. When Shock and other special commands started to pile up it limited it use, so definitely a fair weather tactic.
Will3T

Post by Will3T »

My final take on US Marines national characteristics, specifically Carlson's 2nd Raiders in mind for my new campaign.

Devil Dogs
“From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli”, the Marines are known for their tenacity and ferocity in combat. Tactics and organization used by Marines in the Pacific put emphasis on this mythos, with focuses on overwhelming firepower and movement to close with the enemy. Use of fireteam and fire & maneuver tactics would further be refined as the war progressed and on into future conflicts.

When a Leader uses two Command Initiatives, they may have a Squad or Team fire at half rate, move 1D6 inches, and assume a Tactical stance at the end of movement.

First to Fight
With Marines deploying quickly to various conflicts around the globe they have gained the reputation as being the United States expeditionary force. This mentality of “First to Fight” also reflects the bravery of the individual Marines who are always ready to face the threats to America. The leaders of these Marines at all ranks take this to heart and are often found in the heat of the action leading from the front.

When a Senior Leader deploys to the table, they may also bring attached to them one still yet undeployed Squad or Team.