Screening a unit with another unit

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

siggian

Re: Screening a unit with another unit

Post by siggian »

Realistically, the opponent should be firing at the new squad because it is both nearer and also the bigger immediate threat. I'd think the normal reaction would be to switch firing to the new greater threat rather than to ignore it. I also would not consider that a cheese move because it is a way of extracting a unit in trouble by providing a distractive threat.

Edit: there's nothing in the rules to support my view, but it just seems the most likely thing to happen.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

siggian wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:47 pm
Realistically, the opponent should be firing at the new squad because it is both nearer and also the bigger immediate threat. I'd think the normal reaction would be to switch firing to the new greater threat rather than to ignore it. I also would not consider that a cheese move because it is a way of extracting a unit in trouble by providing a distractive threat.
This.

In real life, the opponent's squad would not be thinking: "Hey, if only we could kill that depleted squad that is now behind the new guys, we will force their morale down and win the game, so let's aim at them (again) instead!" They would be thinking: "Whoa, these new guys are going to kill us if we don't keep their heads down!"
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Or watch out they are re positioning the MG if it gets set up again we are in real trouble.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

Gun-Pit Paul

Post by Gun-Pit Paul »

You would shoot at the MOST dangerous, to you, target that you could effect.

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield »

I agree with siggian. That is how I would play or allow it to be played and don't find it cheesy as I too agree it to be a true life tactic.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

siggian wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Edit: there's nothing in the rules to support my view, but it just seems the most likely thing to happen.
Actually there is nothing in the rules which would prevent you firing at the new squad. I would agree that it is more realistic to target the greater immediate threat. Ignoring it would likely result in more pain.
However, the original questions were essentially about if the new threat could be ignored and the alternative depleted target engaged instead. In my view a player can choose to do that provided the figures firing have line of sight to the preferred target. It may not be the wisest option though.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I think the point people are making is that playing the period rather than RAW you would fire at the closest threat.

I agree RAW the rules do not prohibit firing in these circumstsnces.
However, I also agree that getting any clear LOF is going to be tricky. It will come down to where on the figure you.measure from and where on the target you measure to.
Thats a.level of detail I would rather avoid.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:36 pm
I think the point people are making is that playing the period rather than RAW you would fire at the closest threat.

I agree RAW the rules do not prohibit firing in these circumstsnces.
However, I also agree that getting any clear LOF is going to be tricky. It will come down to where on the figure you.measure from and where on the target you measure to.
Thats a.level of detail I would rather avoid.
I completely agree which is why I said in my original answer that in my experience it’s simpler to treat the new squad as blocking line of sight and leave it there.

John