Transffering troops

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Gorgimur

Transffering troops

Post by Gorgimur »

Hi and Happy new year!

I have a question about transffering troops.

Lets say that I have a section reduced to just one man in each team and a JL.

1. Could I transfer the last man from one team to the other (to the LMG for exemple)?
2. Would that mean that I have to roll for ”team wiped out”?
3. If I didn´t roll for ”team wiped out” when I moved a man would I then instead roll for section wiped out if the last team is destroyed?

Contrarius

Re: Transffering troops

Post by Contrarius »

Certainly nothing stopping you transferring the last rifleman to your LMG (at a cost of one C.I. from the attached officer).

I don’t think the specific scenario you give is directly covered in the rules, but I would say:
* No need to roll for loss of a section on consolidating the section into the LMG team.
* Since technically the LMG team IS now the section, roll only for loss of a section if it gets wiped out (but not for loss of a team).

Seret

Post by Seret »

Gorgimur wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:14 am
1. Could I transfer the last man from one team to the other (to the LMG for exemple)?
Yep, sure
2. Would that mean that I have to roll for ”team wiped out”?
I would say yes, you do. They've obviously been shot to bits,and are on their last legs.
3. If I didn´t roll for ”team wiped out” when I moved a man would I then instead roll for section wiped out if the last team is destroyed?
Yes, if you didn't roll for "team wiped out" when you dissolved the team then when the last of them die you would roll "section wiped out" instead of another "team wiped out"

In practice it's pretty rare for sections to get down to such low numbers without breaking. Any section that's taken enough fire to be reduced to two men and a leader is likely to also have the six shock it takes to break them.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

We have always played it that if you deliberately wipe out a team you roll immediately as to delay it until section wipe out can effect the game. But agree with Seret it is very rare event.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

In Sharp Practice you can consolidate Groups — the cost being the equivalent of one C.I. This is certainly to your advantage, especially when you redistribute shock across the surviving groups in a more even way. You don’t need to throw for loss of a Group.

Doesn’t make logical sense to me that ordering a lone soldier to team up with a surviving LMG gunner would decrease overall morale. But I do see this could be gamed to avoid taking FM tests.

In practice such a consolidation is only likely to take place somewhere out of fire, after shock has been brought down to controllable levels. It’s like the final survivors catching their breath, re-arming, and regrouping for that “one final push”.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

My opponent informed me that the transferring wasn't a test, which I agree, I think. But yes, at that point, it's a one team section, and we should probably have been dicing for loss of a section, not a team.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Contrarius wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:17 am
It’s like the final survivors catching their breath, re-arming, and regrouping for that “one final push”.
All two of them..... 8-)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:41 pm
Contrarius wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:17 am
It’s like the final survivors catching their breath, re-arming, and regrouping for that “one final push”.
All two of them..... 8-)
With an MG42 and JL to control fire. Yes.
(You clearly haven’t been watching the same movies as me. LOL.)

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I agree Contrarius amalgamations did often take place IRL - in CoC that is allowed between missions in a campaign without penalty.

In the middle of a battle it is a bit different were the moral rules are hinged on the existence (or not) of whole units.

E.g. if I transfer the last man and thus prolong the roll on BTH table for a phase or so I may avoid the loss of a command dice.
Also what do you do with the shock that was with the team you transfer out - there is no rule for transferring this - if a team dies the shock dies with it. If I transfer a guy with 3 shock to a team with one shock then lose the 3 shock that is not fair either.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I think it's obvious he carries the shock with him into the new team/section. The man is no less scared for being in a new organisational position.