Soviet Cavalry EW TOE.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Tomm

Soviet Cavalry EW TOE.

Post by Tomm »

I came across this in John Harrels book on Soviet Cavalry:

"Like most armies of the world, the smallest unit in the Soviet cavalry was the squad. There were two types of squads: light machine gun and grenadier. Each squad had eight men, armed with rifles, and later sub-machines guns, and either a light machine gun or rifle grenade launcher. The light machine gun was the Degtyarrev light machine gun Model 1928.... (snip)

The grenade launcher was most likely the RPG-40. The limited references describing the RPG-40 vaguely include it with descriptions of various other rifle grenades. Rifle grenades were fired from standard rifles, equipped with a special attachment for the grenade.... (snip)

One of each type of squad formed a section, with one of the squad leaders acting as section leader. When operating dismounted, the section formed one dismounted element of twelve soldiers and a four-man horse-holder team. A platoon was commanded by a lieutenant and consisted of two sections: a headquarters squad contained a messenger, observer/signaller, horse corporal and two horse-holders. Between 1940 and 1942, the platoon headquarters contained a 50mm mortar team."

I wonder then if EW Soviet Cavalry list should be

Platoon HQ
Senior leader
50mm mortar team (2 crew)

Section 1 and 2
JL

LMG Team
3 riflemen
LMG with 3 crew

Grenadier team
5 riflemen
Rifle Grenadier

If deployed mounted add 2 riflemen to each team (including mortar team)

I haven't run it through CoCulator, never mind the cost to switch over to SMGs!
As far as I can see the cavalry were kept relatively well up to strength pre war.

Tomm

Re: Soviet Cavalry EW TOE.

Post by Tomm »

-5 force rating with rifles.

-3 With SMGs I think, for regulars

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Tomm wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:44 pm
The grenade launcher was most likely the RPG-40. The limited references describing the RPG-40 vaguely include it with descriptions of various other rifle grenades. Rifle grenades were fired from standard rifles, equipped with a special attachment for the grenade.... (snip)
No, the RPG-40 was a hand-thrown AT grenade / satchel charge. Most likely the rifle grenade laucher was the Dyakonov http://www.saunalahti.fi/~ejuhola/7.62/djakonov.html as the Russians didn't have anything else. I included some rules for this in my Winter War campaign but basically it is very similar to the (badly misrepresented in CoC) French VB launcher.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Your information is similar to that in the Finnish publication "Tietoja N-L:n armeijasta I" published by the Finnish Army Headquarters military intelligence department in 1941. It lists the Red Army "sabre platoon" of a cavalry division as [CoC equivalent]:

Sabre Platoon Leader [SL]
Assistant Platoon Leader [superior JL]

1st Section:
Rifle half section [Team] 6 men [presumably the four horse holders + 2 messengers]
Rifle half section [Team] 4 riflemen, 1 rifleman with scoped rifle, one rifle grenadier [4 riflemen, 1 rifle-grenade launcher with 2 crew]
LMG half section [Team] 6 men [2-man LMG team, 4 riflemen]

2nd Section:
Rifle half section [Team] 4 riflemen, 1 rifleman with scoped rifle, one rifle grenadier [4 riflemen, 1 rifle-grenade launcher with 2 crew]
LMG half section [Team] 6 men [2-man LMG team, 4 riflemen]

The total strength of the platoon is therefore 32 men. Note that as the second section leader acts as the assistant platoon leader, he is able to command all sections. There are no squad-leading JLs in this setup at all. My hunch is that the men listed as having scoped rifles probably didn't have them in practice. They should in any case not be considered to be snipers of any kind.

There were also 22-man sabre MMG platoons with two Maxim MMGs.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

The MMG platoon I've seen was 2x tachankas, each with 2 crew and 2x5 horse mounted gun crew, plus an officer, so 15 men with 2 maxims. But there may have been more messengers etc who don't feature in CoC terms.

Re your above, I'd suggest the assistant platoon commander as an ISL, rather than a SJL. Lets them command outside their section. I noted a "horse corporal" in the setup I cribbed from but assumed they were heading back to command the horse holding sections