Questions about hits on leaders

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Gorgimur

Questions about hits on leaders

Post by Gorgimur »

Hi everyone!

First a have to apologies for my english, it is not my first language. And I also apologies in advance if this is already covered somewere here (which it probably is) or if I posted it in the wrong place. I really like this game and I think I have a decent grasp of the rules nowdays, but there are still a few things that are a bit fuzzy. One of those are leaders and kills. In my last game the following occurred. My opponent had a team of a single man and the JL, a boys ATR (only one man left) and a SL. Everyone are within 4” of each other. I fired at one team and we divided hits over both teams. The ATR got away without a scratch, but the other team suffered two kills. The first kill was the single remaining man and we decided that one random leader would automatically suffer the other kill. The JL got hit, he rolled a 1 and died. However I´m not sure this was correct, so here are my questions:

1. Is a leader automatically hit if his group suffers more kills then it have men or do you dice for it as you would do when there are men left in the team?
2. What if it had been the ATR who suffered two kills? The first kill would be the last man with the ATR, but would the other automatically (or if you diced for it and rolled 1-2) be the SL or could it even be the JL? Hi is with a different team, but he is still a ”leader” within 4”...
3. And what happens if there are more kills then leaders? That was not the case in my game, but it could happen (certanly in close combat). What if the player in my example would have taken 4 kills? That would have been 3 kills more then men in the team. How would you handle 3 kills om two leaders?
a. Do they get one hit each and 50% on the last?
b. Or do you roll randomly for every hit (so that one leader teoretically could end upp with all hits)?
c. And what happen to a leader that takes two or more kills?
d. Is there a difference between how kills on leaders work from shooting vs close combat? Do leaders die outright if their team suffer more kills then men or do they still roll for effect, which potentially mean that they could fight on?

I would be grateful for answers!

Archdukek

Re: Questions about hits on leaders

Post by Archdukek »

No need to apologise, your English is fine and the questions clear.

In the rules as written you would always roll to see if a Leader has been hit using the rule as set out in 9.1.1. This could mean that the Leader escapes harm completely and both kills are recorded on the other team member. Some players don’t like this and believe an excess Kill result should automatically be transferred to a Leader in the circumstances you describe, particularly in a Close Combat situation. You would then roll for effect as you did. So a Leader could survive and fight on. They are your heroic Big Men who keep going when others are taken out of action.

Personally I usually only apply automatic hits on the Leader if the excess Kill arises in Close Combat, not from firing.

If you do apply excess Kills automatically to Leaders then you would dice for the effect of each Kill applied to the Leader separately so he could be wounded twice, knocked out, killed or some combination. Once allocated to a Leader the hits only apply to him so he could be killed twice.

Where there are multiple kills from a single burst of enemy firing then I would test against the total number of kills across both the teams when determining Leader casualties.

Where there are multiple Leaders present the advice is to determine if a Leader has been hit at all then select which Leader is hit randomly. So I would say that you should roll for each Kill to decide if the JL or SL are hit. One Leader could take all the hits potentially.

This isn’t spelled out in the rules so again some players prefer to allocate Kills evenly across the Leaders and only dice for any odd Kill. Your choice as to how you want to play it.

I hope this helps. Whichever way you decide to play it just be consistent from game to game.

John

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Gorgimur wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:19 pm
1. Is a leader automatically hit if his group suffers more kills then it have men or do you dice for it as you would do when there are men left in the team?
In the rules I think you would then roll as normal 1d6 under number of kills to see if the leader was hit, and then roll for effect. However that does lead to situations where half of your platoon will be firing at that one lone enemy Senior Leader running around the table and he keeps dodging the bullets. So we play so that the leader has been hit, and we then roll for effect.

siggian

Post by siggian »

I would play it exactly how you did it: remove the team and one hit on the JL because there are no men to be hit.

Gorgimur

Post by Gorgimur »

Thanks! That actually makes it a lot clearer! And Merry Christmas to you all!

Gorgimur

Post by Gorgimur »

Thanks! That actually makes it a lot clearer! And Merry Christmas to you all!