Silencers and Suppressors

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Capt Fortier

Silencers and Suppressors

Post by Capt Fortier »

I've been working on a WWII Aegean raiding campaign for a while with some rule variants to introduce stealth and wondered to what extent WWII raiding forces had access to silencers and suppressors? I've seen references to the SBS regularly including "carbines" in their arsenal, and had assumed this to be the American M1 carbine, but could it have been the De Lisle commando carbine with integrated suppressor? How common were these? And how effective were they as a stealth weapon?
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Truscott Trotter

Re: Silencers and Suppressors

Post by Truscott Trotter »

De Lisle commando carbine is the only one I know of - I have one in my Commando army but never thought about rules for it.
Dunno how effective they were but they were made so I guessed they passed some test?

pman

Post by pman »

Just looked up a you tube video (i know it's maybe not super reliable source) that said about 130 were made they had 85 dB noise and were ment for 50-100 meters but could hit at 200 meters. Its 45 ACP so 200 metersis maybe to stretch it a little.

HaberDasher

Post by HaberDasher »

I think i it was a uncommon weapon. For what it is worth Wikipedia states that 129 was produced from 1942 to 1945. the next question is how often would it be available and issued? Obviously it would be issued to commandos and SOE units as part of the mission kit rather than standard issue. My guess would be 1 pr. section, when available, but that is purely speculation on my part.

Also the british used a silenced version of the sten gun and the wellrod pistol.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Thanks for info so far. With only 130 De Lisle carbines produced it sounds like it would be pretty rare. I've read that the SOE used them, so perhaps it was more "cloak and dagger" than the kind of raids that I have in mind. The same seems to be true for the Welrod pistol, although there appear to have been many more produced. The suppressed sten is definitely the "go to" weapon for Hollywood raids, so maybe I should succumb to "playing the period drama, not the period..." ;)
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi »

Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi »

The first link is Ian Mccollum of Forgotten Weapons firing a DeLisle, and this is his standard history and mechanical piece:
https://youtu.be/YtzaVil5joc

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Thanks all for links and info.
Capt Fortier

Seret

Post by Seret »

Capt Fortier wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:36 am
I've been working on a WWII Aegean raiding campaign for a while with some rule variants to introduce stealth and wondered to what extent WWII raiding forces had access to silencers and suppressors?
First of all: have you looked at the Osprey ruleset Black Ops? It's intended for post-war stealth "tactical espionage" games, but I've used it a couple of times for WW2 and it works fine. All the WW2-era weapons are covered, the main thing you'll need to do is drop the body armour from the troops stats. The rules have a bit at the back with a framework for doing exactly that. The game includes rules for silenced and suppressed weapons, stealth, sentries, etc

As for the weapons: the British were particularly well equipped. They had the De Lisle Carbine, the Sten MkIIS and the Welrod pistol. Commandos had access to them, particularly in the early raiding days.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Seret wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm
First of all: have you looked at the Osprey ruleset Black Ops?
In fact I am, and your own Black Ops commando AAR has helped me in that direction. I've largely given up trying to fit this kind of raiding campaign into the CoC world - just too many changes that take it too far away from the core of the rules - although I think it can still work for some of the bigger raids like Simi, Lemnos and Khios.
Seret wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm
As for the weapons: the British were particularly well equipped. They had the De Lisle Carbine, the Sten MkIIS and the Welrod pistol. Commandos had access to them, particularly in the early raiding days.
Thanks, that is helpful, and marries up nicely with some of the Black Ops options for suppressed weapons, which I think will also marry nicely with the more "pulp" feel I've settled on.
Capt Fortier