1940 British Platoon and Boys Rifle + AA units

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

gbaylis1957

1940 British Platoon and Boys Rifle + AA units

Post by gbaylis1957 »

I have seen some mentions of this issue but cannot find the posts in question, so am raising it again, hope no one minds.

Its about the allocation of a Boys with no Crew. This seems strange and I was wondering why this was done?

Normally I expect the issue would be resolved by buying 2 men from the Supportl list, but is another possibility using a JL' command pips (2 of them) to move 2 rifleman to a new team to man the gun, or is that impossible as the boys actually is 'owned' by the SL and that he has to do the team formation, or is all of this not allowed?

I ask as I am about to by the retreating scenarion in the 1940 book and that does not allow you any supports until turn 2, which would mean, if you can't man the boys, that you have nothing to fight the tanks with, or is that the idea?

Also, just to clarify, as any AA units do not appear until turn 2 either, I would imagine that any STUKA attack at the start of the game would not be countered and therefore that bit more effective. I see that as a part of the scenario too, but would like to know if I have read it right.

Thanks

Truscott Trotter

Re: 1940 British Platoon and Boys Rifle + AA units

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I think toy can simply remove 2 men to man the Boys before the game starts thats what the platoon commander would do in real life.

The AA supports are I think a slightly different proposition to normal supports and they would be in action for the entire game. They never enter the table and are probably manned by Battalion or divisional troops.
If they were.no allowed to be active until turn 2 they would be of no use at all as the Stuka attack takes place prior to or during the first turn only.
My 2c worth

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

As TT says, before the game starts, you simply order 2 of the men already in your platoon to lug the thing around.

What isn’t absolutely clear is whether those men MUST then form a separate 2-man team, or if it’s permissible to allocate it to one of your rifle teams, making it less vulnerable to casualties and shock.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Like the US AI that can detail a 2 man bazooka team. It forms a separate AT team.

The best way to use it is in ambush or failing that deploy it within 4" of at least 2 other freindly teams to absorb some hits.