Beutepanzer Use

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Beutepanzer Use

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Nah they were produced under licence.
Captured to me is still in its original owners colours and insignia.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Does slapping an iron cross on a trackless Matilda II and using it as a pillbox in North Africa count? I've seen plenty of pictures of that sort of thing.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Munin wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28 pm
Does slapping an iron cross on a trackless Matilda II and using it as a pillbox in North Africa count? I've seen plenty of pictures of that sort of thing.
I suspect that would be Tobruk perimeter,?

Munin

Post by Munin »

I think it was Sidi Omar, but I'd have to check to be sure.

BushyBeardTom

Post by BushyBeardTom »

From the examples I've seen there are a few Shermans and Churchills where the Germans simply painted over the allied star with the German cross (I'm sorry I can't recall the proper name for it) but otherwise left them as found. That is the sort of thing I was going for, more a re-use of a captured vehicle, but I agree that the Shermans etc with German cupolas would be a fun little conversion.

I'll probably go with taking them at their original support level, but maybe roll a random damaged aspect to represent field repairs, or give it a green crew, or both, and then in a campaign I can look at getting a refitted one with fewer handicaps.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

BushyBeardTom wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:51 am
.....the Germans simply painted over the allied star with the German cross (I'm sorry I can't recall the proper name for it).....
I believe that would be the "Balkankreuz".
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

BushyBeardTom

Post by BushyBeardTom »

Ah ha, thank you!!!

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

I was referring to the variety of French vehicles used...not a Tiger II. Nothing spectacular, but adds a nice flavor to the game, whether on the Eastern Front of in Normandy.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:59 pm
BushyBeardTom wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:51 am
.....the Germans simply painted over the allied star with the German cross (I'm sorry I can't recall the proper name for it).....
I believe that would be the "Balkankreuz".
More correctly spelt Balkenkreuz, meaning ‘beam cross’. It’s also quite a common error to associate it with the Balkans though there is, of course, no connection.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

In the early part of the war the Germans were struggling to supply their existing Panzer divisions with tanks let alone to replace the heavy losses suffered in Poland and France. They were happy to take on any foreign AFVs they considered serviceable as replacements. There are quite a few photos of Polish 7TP tanks with the Balkenkreuz, and some were even issued German turret numbers during the Polish campaign itself. Not so clear if any of the AFVs captured in the France 1940 campaign were immediately put to use. The Germans quickly shipped a lot of the captured vehicles back to Germany for refurbishment, both French and British, though most were simply repaired in the original factories in France. Plenty of these, especially Somua S-35s and Panhard 178 armoured cars turn up all over Europe from 1940 onwards.