Nomonhan / Khalkin Gol scenario

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

goingaviking

Nomonhan / Khalkin Gol scenario

Post by goingaviking »

Does anyone have a scenario for Nomonhan / Khalkin Gol (Soviets v Japanese in 1939) ?
Or even a Big CoC scenario as I think is well-suited to combined-arms forces.

Thanks.

Baldie

Re: Nomonhan / Khalkin Gol scenario

Post by Baldie »

Warlord did a coupe for BA, I am sure you adapt it to COC.

One of them has you fight at night in a storm. Much reduced ranged weapon spotting unless you fire then they can spot your muzzle flashes.

Each turn there is a chance of a lightning strike which acts like a flare.

We only did it in BA not COC but the game we played the Japanese made it to charge range before any lightning went off then all hell let rip with Soviets firing at close range trying to stop Japanese charges.

There is another one but it is pretty much just cavalry on each side.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

At least the terrain is straightforward.😋

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:48 pm
At least the terrain is straightforward.😋
Being a case of taking one steppe at a time, I presume.

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

G'day all,
Here are some notes on the IJA at the time:
In 1937 the Marco Polo bridge incident precipitated the start of World War 2 in the Asia-Pacific region. It also coincided with a significant reorganisation of company & platoon TO&E within the IJA. This changed the platoon from four 12-man Rifle Squads and two 8-man LMG Squads to one of three 14-man LMG Squads and one 13-man Grenade Discharger Squad with three Type 89 GD. At the Company level nothing changed with regard to added firepower or heavy weapons (there was none). At Battalion level, the Type 92 70mm Infantry Gun had replaced both the Type 11 70mm Mortar and the Type 11 37mm Infantry Gun (a copy of a similar French weapon).

This new organisation formally established the Grenade Discharger Squad as a part of the platoon, something that had been unofficially part of Japanese platoons since the Type 89 GD became generally available. It was also the organisation the Japanese Army used to commence its intended conquest of China. In 1939, it was also the organisation that confronted the Soviets at Nomonhan on the Mongolian border.

Over the period 1937 – 1940 the Japanese Army was almost exclusively engaged against the various Chinese armies resisting their westward expansion. The lack of infrastructure coupled with the immensity of the war zone (larger than the eastern front in Europe) limited the pace of operations. Japanese logistics was dependent on railheads and scavenging (pillaging) from the local countryside. This, combined with the poorly equipped Chinese opposition they faced, promoted a very light divisional organisation with regard to heavy weapons. Their defeat at Nomonhan by the Soviets showed up this deficiency but little was done to correct it.

Send me a PM and I can send you a draft force organisation if you want.
Cheers,
Len

Truscott Trotter

After you have finished laughing at Oozeys humour you might want to look at the following

The Khalkhin-Gol Battle 1939
Order of Battle, Strength and Losses of the Soviet-Mongolian Troops
Note: This material is based on M. Kolomiets’ paper [1]. So I can’t be called an author of
this material. My aim was to give the brief information about the latest research of the Khalkhin-
Gol battle also called Nomonhan incident. To my mind, it gives one of the most exact data about
this battle.
AMVAS
amvas@mail.ru,rkkaww2@narod.ru
http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/

AND
Soviet Style Blitzkrieg esp Ch 5 (free pdf)
Dr. Edward J. Drea
COMBAT STUDIES INSTITUTE

and Scenario here
KHALKHIN-GOL
2 July, 1939, Manchuria
By Brad Smith (14/8/10) V 1.0

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 »

More specific url for Nomonhan Incident info: http://armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/batt ... _gol39.htm

Chris

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:31 am
After you have finished laughing at Oozeys humour you might want to look at the following

The Khalkhin-Gol Battle 1939
Order of Battle, Strength and Losses of the Soviet-Mongolian Troops
Note: This material is based on M. Kolomiets’ paper [1]. So I can’t be called an author of
this material. My aim was to give the brief information about the latest research of the Khalkhin-
Gol battle also called Nomonhan incident. To my mind, it gives one of the most exact data about
this battle.
AMVAS
amvas@mail.ru,rkkaww2@narod.ru
http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/

AND
Soviet Style Blitzkrieg esp Ch 5 (free pdf)
Dr. Edward J. Drea
COMBAT STUDIES INSTITUTE

and Scenario here
KHALKHIN-GOL
2 July, 1939, Manchuria
By Brad Smith (14/8/10) V 1.0

Truscott Trotter

Thanks Chris