Von luck and Lorraine schlepper

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

GKA

Re: Von luck and Lorraine schlepper

Post by GKA »

Let’s not forget that the Schlepper has an armour rating of 2! A small child with a catapult poses a threat. On each game my opponent took one in the KVL campaign they were rendered ineffective from PIAT, smoke rounds or inability to be activated on the command dice. Paras lost one SL, four riflemen & a chateau in the whole campaign from schlepper fire. Don’t fear the Schlepper.

MLB

Post by MLB »

They don’t like mortar barrages either.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

.....or a brave chap, that used to open the bowling for his county, with a grenade....

GKA

Post by GKA »

A couple of times I was so very tempted to attempt slotting a mortar round in it on a pre-agreed hit of double 6. Medal worthy at least.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

GKA wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:25 pm
Don’t fear the Schlepper.
Nice idea, but I think a Jewish Blue Oyster Cult might fail the kosher inspection!
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

GKA wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 am
A couple of times I was so very tempted to attempt slotting a mortar round in it on a pre-agreed hit of double 6. Medal worthy at least.
No need for any pre-agreement. That option is in the rules, see section 9.4 on page 43.

John

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Jiefu wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 am
GKA wrote:
Don’t fear the Schlepper.
I don't fear the schlepper, it is in my arsenal, I'm playing Germans. I fear setting up a board for a non-event game.
Understandable. Perhaps in that case the Schlepper might suffer a temporary breakdown and be unavailable for selection next game. See how you get on then.

John

Seret

Post by Seret »

GKA wrote:
Let’s not forget that the Schlepper has an armour rating of 2! A small child with a catapult poses a threat. On each game my opponent took one in the KVL campaign they were rendered ineffective from PIAT, smoke rounds or inability to be activated on the command dice. Paras lost one SL, four riflemen & a chateau in the whole campaign from schlepper fire. Don’t fear the Schlepper.
This.

The Germans will need to keep the Schlepper well out of PIAT range, which often restricts what it can shoot at (I'm thinking especially of the Corridor of Death game). Any intervening terrain will restrict it to blasting the upper stories of buildings. Stay our of those and keep lobbing smoke in front of it and forcing it to move and you can certainly cramp its style.

This was mine when (lacking targets) I had to drive it in through the front gates of the chateau. Smoked to oblivion!

(Wespe model standing in for a proper Schlepper as they were hard to get in 28mm back then)

It's the classic glass hammer really. Yes if it shoots you it'll hurt, so get cunning and don't let it shoot. Every time you make the Germans waste a valuable 3 on moving their SP gun to try and get a shot that's a little bit of virtual attrition in your favour.