Visibility into building

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

siggian

Re: Visibility into building

Post by siggian »

Yes, there are all kinds of house rules that we could apply. I have no doubt that some of them are very good.

Johnno

Post by Johnno »

I think in terms of common sense and fair play those units should not have been able to see into the building. If that means house-ruling it then so be it. "Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind" - Douglas Macarthur

The rules may be the rules but let's apply some reason. Watching Richard Clarke play CoC, when not cheating (lol) he practices reasonability for the sake of fair play.

The game is scaled at 12"=40 yards. Thereby they were 120 yards away, or 360 feet away for those among us who use the Imperial system.

Next time you are out, find a house that is 120 yards/360 feet away. Can you see inside it? Probably not.

MLB

Post by MLB »

Not unusual to fire into buildings that potentially house the enemy (that’s what the covering fire rules allow for example). Also common for infantry commanders to ask the nearest tank to fire some HE into potential places like church spires. So, yes, you can’t see in but there’s no reason why you can’t use recon by fire. In game terms there’s a balance to be found and based on this discussion I’m not sure it’s quite there at the moment.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Johnno wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:44 pm
I think in terms of common sense and fair play those units should not have been able to see into the building. If that means house-ruling it then so be it. "Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind" - Douglas Macarthur

The rules may be the rules but let's apply some reason. Watching Richard Clarke play CoC, when not cheating (lol) he practices reasonability for the sake of fair play.

The game is scaled at 12"=40 yards. Thereby they were 120 yards away, or 360 feet away for those among us who use the Imperial system.

Next time you are out, find a house that is 120 yards/360 feet away. Can you see inside it? Probably not.
I am sure with my binoculars I could see someone that is at the window - whether they have a gun or binos themselves at 360 feet - in fact at probably 1500 feet!

We play buildings simply - if you are doing something near the window - be it firing , watching or having a ciggy you can be seen.
if you declare you are not at the openings - then you cannot fire or observe from that building but I cannot see you until i reach the opening.

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell »

Which is why no trained observer would be looking out of a window. He’d have removed a tile from the roof or an air brick or some such and be looking through that. If he was there a little while he’d have camouflaged the small aperture he had made. If he was observing through a window he’d keep 6 feet back from it. You’d never see him.
I like the advanced rule as written.

Baldie

Post by Baldie »

I go for the Soviet approach, take the village Petrov. Ok lads the boss wants us to blow up all the buildings then take the village.

Great joy was had as a 14 year old when we did a four player 6mm Soviets vs NATO game. NATO had loads of missile teams hidden.
Me and a chum had bought lots of 152mm artillery pieces and wasted a village on the other side of the bridge we had to attack which is where their ambush lay. NATO then blew the bridge and our T72's snorkelled across.

simpler times with little use of real rules sets.

Granted if said chums had a bit more paper round money we would then have got blasted by air power.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

Johnno

Post by Johnno »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:14 am
We play buildings simply - if you are doing something near the window - be it firing , watching or having a ciggy you can be seen.
if you declare you are not at the openings - then you cannot fire or observe from that building but I cannot see you until i reach the opening.
I believe you have highlighted my point well. I asked from 360 feet away, could you see inside it. Unaided you would not be able to.

But could you see someone standing in the window? Common sense says yes.

However the question, as stated by the OP stated he wanted to deploy the FOO in the building. No mention of being in or near the window.
MLB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 am
So, yes, you can’t see in but there’s no reason why you can’t use recon by fire.
I haven't seen this utilized in game terms, is it an actual thing that can be done?